Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to lose weight when I can't exercise help please ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've broken my lower back I'm very lucky I can walk and I'm on crutches but bar walking round the house I can't manage any exercise. It looks like I'm going to be struggling for months. Before my accident I was starting to lose weight I was exercising every day. Now I'm doing nothing the weight is piling on I'm about 11.5 stone and a 6ft female. I'm feeling pretty down as it is and the extra weight is making me feel crap. Any tips for anything I can do to atleast keep my weight as it is or even better keep losing the weight ? Thank tou in advance for any tips

ReputationRep:
    Eat less. Calories in < Calories out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gregy521)
    Eat less. Calories in < Calories out.
    What he said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi1233)
    I've broken my lower back I'm very lucky I can walk and I'm on crutches but bar walking round the house I can't manage any exercise. It looks like I'm going to be struggling for months. Before my accident I was starting to lose weight I was exercising every day. Now I'm doing nothing the weight is piling on I'm about 11.5 stone and a 6ft female. I'm feeling pretty down as it is and the extra weight is making me feel crap. Any tips for anything I can do to atleast keep my weight as it is or even better keep losing the weight ? Thank tou in advance for any tips
    6ft and 11.5 stones , your tall!!
    You'll need to have some excercise even if it's just sitting and moving your arms otherwise your muscle fibres will break down and once you recover you'll be incredibly weak.
    So decent diet + some doable exercise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you at the stage you can manage swimming yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No not yet I'm just about walking still can't even sit down unaided it's driving me mad. I think I'll have to change my diet I have been feeling pretty fed up and comfort eating!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You lose weight because you are at a calorific deficit. Eat less than you burn each day and you will lose weight over time. You have to be at an accurate deficit though. Tbh you dont really need to lose much more weight so 0.5lb a week would be fine. thats a 250 daily deficit. Do any exercise in consultation with your physio. Swimming is a good option when he allows it. there are plenty of workouts on youtuve, but you have to pay attention to your physio and Dr and be patient.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    At 11.5stone you're hardly over weight @6ft.

Eat like an adult and you'll be fine. Say no to chocolate, crisps etc. Say yes to wholesome food. Track your calories if you have to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your replies will have to change my diet have been a bit mopey and eating utter rubbish. It's not so much that I'm big it's just I'm very active usually (had accident doing sport) and I just feel bigger my clothes are tighter I've lost any muscle definition I have and just feel a bit rubbish in general.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    swimming when your physio says so becayse that will give you the support and or walking. You will get exercise soon enough, but you have to heal up properly not make it worse. You wont lose msucle definition that fast. I guess you cna do arm work but everything else tends to go through your back.

ReputationRep:
    Easy to say calories vs calories out but not all calories are created equal.

I personally find it hard to stick to a good nutrition plan when I am not excising but it is the most important time. When I had the flu recently I lost about 5lbs of muscle and put on 4lbs of fat! Not a happy girl.

Make sure you are eating portion controlled meals regularly. Aim to eat within 1-2 hours of waking up and then around every 4 hours. You want to keep your body processing and not stall it into starvation mode by skipping meals and eating at irregular times.

Aim to eat 2 fruit and 5 Veg a day and chose complex carbs and good fats. Don't cut a food group out of your nutrition plan. Make sure your hydrated and getting your water in. Don't drink sugary drinks / energy drinks.

Hopefully this will help

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defau...GPPamphlet.pdf
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LiyaMck)
    Easy to say calories vs calories out but not all calories are created equal.

I personally find it hard to stick to a good nutrition plan when I am not excising but it is the most important time. When I had the flu recently I lost about 5lbs of muscle and put on 4lbs of fat! Not a happy girl.

Make sure you are eating portion controlled meals regularly. Aim to eat within 1-2 hours of waking up and then around every 4 hours. You want to keep your body processing and not stall it into starvation mode by skipping meals and eating at irregular times.

Aim to eat 2 fruit and 5 Veg a day and chose complex carbs and good fats. Don't cut a food group out of your nutrition plan. Make sure your hydrated and getting your water in. Don't drink sugary drinks / energy drinks.

Hopefully this will help

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defau...GPPamphlet.pdf
    Satiation wise protein and fat are more satiating, but at the end of the day overall calorie counting is king

Starvation mode doesn't exist unless you're literally starving to death i.e. you have an eating disorder/ you're in the middle of a famine

And that leaflet was made in the 1970s as it says at the bottom. It's pretty outdated to say the least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Satiation wise protein and fat are more satiating, but at the end of the day overall calorie counting is king

Starvation mode doesn't exist unless you're literally starving to death i.e. you have an eating disorder/ you're in the middle of a famine

And that leaflet was made in the 1970s as it says at the bottom. It's pretty outdated to say the least
    Hi Angry Cucumber...

I personally do not think calorie counting is king - YES! it is an important factor and yes protein and fats are more satiating but a rounded diet is needed. You can make sure you eat only 1800 calories a day but be putting yourself at health risks if you choose processed foods and eat trans fats. You might lose weight as your eating less than your burning but you are starving yourself of nutrients.
    Starvation mode is a bit extreme I admit I was meaning the affect starving yourself of nutrients has on your body. I was thinking more re the post below. This is from a group of nutritionists from Vanity House Fitness - This is very up to date.
    The information I shared was more re thinking about a balance diet. Sorry if the information in that document was frustrating to you. Sorry that your 'angry' as stress levels also affect weight loss and a positive outlook will help.

The hormone that controls your fat loss & how to control it for effective results ..
    For years, people have followed the principle that if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose fat. This simply isn’t true. You may lose weight, but that weight may consist of fat, water and lean muscle because you aren’t getting enough nutrients. But if you want to lose body fat, there’s a lot more to it than creating a calorie deficit.
    Unfortunately, many people don’t understand that, so they keep trying to lose fat by starving themselves and working out for hours every week. What they don’t realize is that the things they’re doing to lose fat will actually make them store more fat.
    The truth is that math isn’t everything and if your fat-loss and fat-storage hormones are out of balance, all the dieting and exercising you do won’t help, and there’s one hormone that is emerging as the most important fat loss hormone of all.
    Many of you have probably read about the roles that insulin and cortisol play in losing and storing fat, but I doubt that most of you have heard much about leptin. If you’ve heard anything, it’s that leptin signals your body that you’re full, while its counterpart, ghrelin, signals that you’re hungry.
    But recent research is showing that leptin is actually a far more important hormone than we thought when it comes to our ability to lose body fat. In fact, some nutritionists and other scientists are calling it the most important fat loss hormone. This is because we now know that, in its primary role of protecting our bodies against starvation, leptin actually controls the other fat-loss hormones. (Ahima RS, et al. 2000) (Bowles L, Kopelman P. 2001) (Van Dijk G 2001)
    What this means is that if your leptin levels are too low or your body’s cells are resistant to it (as with insulin resistance), then it will be almost impossible for you to lose fat, especially belly fat.
    Unfortunately, the vast majority of overweight people have insulin levels that are too low and insulin sensitivity that is also too low. The worst thing about this is that this problem is caused not by genetics but by lifestyle habits, even habits we thought were healthy.
    The Causes of Low Leptin Levels and Leptin Insensitivity
    * Numerous studies have shown that a low-calorie diet will actually cause your leptin levels to drop dramatically. (Racette SB, Kohrt WM et al.. 1997)
    * In fact, two separate studies found that leptin levels in people who were on a calorie-restricted diet actually had 50% less plasma leptin after just ONE WEEK on their diets. (Dubuc GR, Havel PJ et al. . 1998)
    * Other studies have shown that long-term consumption of ingredients found in processed foods, especially trans-fats, wheat, GMO soy products and high-fructose corn syrup, leads to a significant decline in leptin sensitivity. (Havel PJ et al. 1996) (Havel PJ et al. . 1999)
    So, if all the research tells us we are interfering with our own ability to lose fat by destroying our leptin levels and promoting leptin resistance, how do we fix it?
    Strategies for Correcting Low leptin Levels and Leptin Resistance
    Fortunately, there’s some very exciting research showing how we can restore the proper balance of leptin in our bodies, repair our leptin sensitivity and start finally losing that body fat.
    * Several studies have shown that periodic refeeding through the use of cheat days quickly elevates leptin levels. (JW. 1996 ) (Weigle DS et al. 1997 )
    * Research also shows that leptin sensitivity is quickly restored on a diet of whole foods. (Koutsari C et al.. 2003 )
    * Other studies have found that carbohydrates have more positive impact on leptin sensitivity than any other nutrient. (Evans et al. 2001)
    * There are dozens of studies showing the effectiveness of natural extracts such as mango, ginseng, seaweed and green tea in raising blood leptin levels and/or increasing leptin sensitivity.
    What the Research Means to You
    Before you fill your diet with carbs and happily set a cheat day, you need to understand that there are downsides to some of the research.
    Researchers admit that eating really healthfully all week and then giving yourself a cheat day has one drawback: those leptin levels will drop again during the rest of the week, creating a yo-yo pattern that will eventually work against you.
    However, if you focus on whole foods all week (no processed foods containing those leptin-killing ingredients I mentioned) and add about 10g of carbs (from things like veggies) per day in the days leading up to your cheat day, it looks like that yo-yo effect is avoided.
    So get rid of the processed foods, start your week low in carbs and add about 10g a day leading up to your cheat day and make sure that you’re getting enough calories.
    You’ll also want to look for high-quality sources of mango, seaweed and green tea extracts to help speed your progress and get you burning that body fat sooner.
    by Kate of VHF
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi Angry Cucumber...

I personally do not think calorie counting is king - YES! it is an important factor and yes protein and fats are more satiating but a rounded diet is needed. You can make sure you eat only 1800 calories a day but be putting yourself at health risks if you choose processed foods and eat trans fats. You might lose weight as your eating less than your burning but you are starving yourself of nutrients.
    I never said to eat badly. However, we were discussing pure fat loss, not the ins and outs of nutritional deficits. Eat like an adult is my advice, eat plenty of stuff thats green and got fibre in it and you won't go far wrong.

Starvation mode is a bit extreme I admit I was meaning the affect starving yourself of nutrients has on your body. I was thinking more re the post below. This is from a group of nutritionists from Vanity House Fitness - This is very up to date.
    The information I shared was more re thinking about a balance diet. Sorry if the information in that document was frustrating to you. Sorry that your 'angry' as stress levels also affect weight loss and a positive outlook will help.
    Shots 4 days. That ad hom is hilarious :lol: My username does not reflect me unfortunately for me

The hormone that controls your fat loss & how to control it for effective results ..
    For years, people have followed the principle that if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose fat. This simply isn’t true.
    LOL

Are these people "nutritionists"?

Ok

You may lose weight, but that weight may consist of fat, water and lean muscle because you aren’t getting enough nutrients. But if you want to lose body fat, there’s a lot more to it than creating a calorie deficit.
    Unfortunately, many people don’t understand that, so they keep trying to lose fat by starving themselves and working out for hours every week. What they don’t realize is that the things they’re doing to lose fat will actually make them store more fat.
    If you're in a deficit, unless you are legit in a famine or getting towards end stage eating disorders, that isn't a thing. Source - read a book.

The truth is that math isn’t everything and if your fat-loss and fat-storage hormones are out of balance, all the dieting and exercising you do won’t help, and there’s one hormone that is emerging as the most important fat loss hormone of all.
    Many of you have probably read about the roles that insulin and cortisol play in losing and storing fat, but I doubt that most of you have heard much about leptin. If you’ve heard anything, it’s that leptin signals your body that you’re full, while its counterpart, ghrelin, signals that you’re hungry.
    But recent research is showing that leptin is actually a far more important hormone than we thought when it comes to our ability to lose body fat. In fact, some nutritionists and other scientists are calling it the most important fat loss hormone. This is because we now know that, in its primary role of protecting our bodies against starvation, leptin actually controls the other fat-loss hormones. (Ahima RS, et al. 2000) (Bowles L, Kopelman P. 2001) (Van Dijk G 2001)
    What this means is that if your leptin levels are too low or your body’s cells are resistant to it (as with insulin resistance), then it will be almost impossible for you to lose fat, especially belly fat.
    Unfortunately, the vast majority of overweight people have insulin levels that are too low and insulin sensitivity that is also too low. The worst thing about this is that this problem is caused not by genetics but by lifestyle habits, even habits we thought were healthy.
    * Numerous studies have shown that a low-calorie diet will actually cause your leptin levels to drop dramatically. (Racette SB, Kohrt WM et al.. 1997)
    * In fact, two separate studies found that leptin levels in people who were on a calorie-restricted diet actually had 50% less plasma leptin after just ONE WEEK on their diets. (Dubuc GR, Havel PJ et al. . 1998)
    * Other studies have shown that long-term consumption of ingredients found in processed foods, especially trans-fats, wheat, GMO soy products and high-fructose corn syrup, leads to a significant decline in leptin sensitivity. (Havel PJ et al. 1996) (Havel PJ et al. . 1999)
    So, if all the research tells us we are interfering with our own ability to lose fat by destroying our leptin levels and promoting leptin resistance, how do we fix it?
    Fortunately, there’s some very exciting research showing how we can restore the proper balance of leptin in our bodies, repair our leptin sensitivity and start finally losing that body fat.
    * Several studies have shown that periodic refeeding through the use of cheat days quickly elevates leptin levels. (JW. 1996 ) (Weigle DS et al. 1997 )
    * Research also shows that leptin sensitivity is quickly restored on a diet of whole foods. (Koutsari C et al.. 2003 )
    * Other studies have found that carbohydrates have more positive impact on leptin sensitivity than any other nutrient. (Evans et al. 2001)
    * There are dozens of studies showing the effectiveness of natural extracts such as mango, ginseng, seaweed and green tea in raising blood leptin levels and/or increasing leptin sensitivity.
    Before you fill your diet with carbs and happily set a cheat day, you need to understand that there are downsides to some of the research.
    Researchers admit that eating really healthfully all week and then giving yourself a cheat day has one drawback: those leptin levels will drop again during the rest of the week, creating a yo-yo pattern that will eventually work against you.
    However, if you focus on whole foods all week (no processed foods containing those leptin-killing ingredients I mentioned) and add about 10g of carbs (from things like veggies) per day in the days leading up to your cheat day, it looks like that yo-yo effect is avoided.
    So get rid of the processed foods, start your week low in carbs and add about 10g a day leading up to your cheat day and make sure that you’re getting enough calories.
    You’ll also want to look for high-quality sources of mango, seaweed and green tea extracts to help speed your progress and get you burning that body fat sooner.
    by Kate of VHF
    Cba breaking down that rubbish.

I've checked out your website and it's exactly what is all that is wrong with the fitness industry. THEY'RE TRYING TO SELL YOU ****.
    Off the front cover of their website - there's no such thing as somatic types, that got debunked a decade or more ago, you do not need an exclusive diet for said somatotype and posting a load of fitness model pictures along with semi interpreted science should be a red flag.

The stuff that they sell - they buy MyProtein stuff and sell it at one hell of a profit and they write books which are eye wateringly expensive, when the people on the cover are stock photos. That is one massive con.

Tl;DR don't copy paste, pseudoscience garbage and try and shoot people down who aren't 20 years out of date. Notice all those studies are ~20 years old. You shouldn't care about your leptin levels, you should care about eating a balanced diet and be in a caloric deficit.

ReputationRep:
    Slimming world - proper food - easy to follow and you are aloud a treat every day so it's easier not to fall off the wagon - you can get the diet and lots of recipes free on line just by googling it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Angry Cucumber...

For years, people have followed the principle that if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose fat. This simply isn’t true. You may lose weight, but that weight may consist of fat, water and lean muscle because you aren’t getting enough nutrients. But if you want to lose body fat, there’s a lot more to it than creating a calorie deficit.
    by Kate of VHF

u just wrote a whole load of **** no one is reading

u dont need to excercise to lose weight as long as you are eating at a caloric deficit you will lose weight. period.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Lol I cant belueve that post got even more demented as it went along..... meanwhile all those who manage a consistent calorific deficit lose weight, the ones that exercise get health benefits, the ones that eat a healthy diet get benefits.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    You lose weight because you are at a calorific deficit. Eat less than you burn each day and you will lose weight over time. You have to be at an accurate deficit though. Tbh you dont really need to lose much more weight so 0.5lb a week would be fine. thats a 250 daily deficit. Do any exercise in consultation with your physio. Swimming is a good option when he allows it. there are plenty of workouts on youtuve, but you have to pay attention to your physio and Dr and be patient.

I dont claim to know a lot about human biology or medicine, but swimming? the woman's in crutches FFS! Cant even sit down unaided and some know-it-all suggest swimming! It will be a long time before "he allows it" so not really worth mentioning.

Honestly there isnt a whole lot of excersise one can do while in crutches or a wheel chair, particularly if they are in pain aswell. I would suggest general moving about in the wheelchair as that seems the most comfortable for someone in the OPs position. Intensive stuff is right out at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Eat less food.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    I dont claim to know a lot about human biology or medicine, but swimming? the woman's in crutches FFS! Cant even sit down unaided and some know-it-all suggest swimming! It will be a long time before "he allows it" so not really worth mentioning.

Honestly there isnt a whole lot of excersise one can do while in crutches or a wheel chair, particularly if they are in pain aswell. I would suggest general moving about in the wheelchair as that seems the most comfortable for someone in the OPs position. Intensive stuff is right out at the moment.
    The physio will introduce her to pool work when he allows it and thinks its appropriate. Notice how I said when he allows it and not to rush off to the pool now, you seem to have overlooked that. I'm not in a position to judge or know what her condition is exactly whereas her Dr and physio will know, perhaps you know better than they what may be suitable? You just make yourself look foolish by deliberately quoting me out of context. So do one.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.