Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Form or heavier weight for muscle gains?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right so im a teen. Been lifting for nearly a year now. Is it better to focus on getting the perfect form correct or lift heavier weights with obviously still decent form but not as good? (For building muscle)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle98)
    Right so im a teen. Been lifting for nearly a year now. Is it better to focus on getting the perfect form correct or lift heavier weights with obviously still decent form but not as good? (For building muscle)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    obviously you want to look like this

ReputationRep:
    Mix it up, don't go to the gym and try and limit yourself to a certain method. You have different muscle fibres used for different kinds of training. If you want to gain the most amount of muscle then mix it up between light weights all the way to heavy weights to stimulate all of the fibres. Also it depends on yourself, for example my biceps respond best to very light weights but more reps which I only found out by experimenting, but I also incorporate heavy sets into my workouts. By varying your reps and weights your muscles never really get used to the way you train so you're constantly shocking your body.

You should always train with decent form and if the weights are too heavy that you can't keep good form then lower the weights.

ReputationRep:
    train with good form but focus on progressive overload

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is your aim size or stregth or both?

The BASIC rule is for overall strength you'll be doing powerlifting style training in the 1-6 rep range with form that may slightly break down at times but not to a angerous amount.

And for size you'd be doing much lighter work for higher reps and shorter rests to get more volume/hypertrophy.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    There's no such thing as perfect form. Practice safe form and get stronger

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    There's no such thing as perfect form. Practice safe form and get stronger

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For you maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    For you maybe.
    nice callout :yy:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    For you maybe.
    I'll start being biased when ref you two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    x
    *looks at username* ... my senses are picking up someone jealous :laugh:

Don't hate.... #ForeverMirin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    *looks at username* ... my senses are picking up someone jealous :laugh:

Don't hate.... #ForeverMirin
    LOL (i actually chucked a little)

I'm quite the contrary actually, i'm not at all really that fat i would call myself tubby o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    LOL (i actually chucked a little)

I'm quite the contrary actually, i'm not at all really that fat i would call myself tubby o.o
    I'm just joking :lol: #banter

Sorry if you took it seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I'm just joking :lol: #banter

Sorry if you took it seriously
    I don'toffended easily it's ok

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.