The Student Room Group

A-level history essay writing techniques?

Do you know any history essay writing techniques? I'm on a low B at the moment and would like to secure a high B in the exam. Any tips would really help. Also, is it a good idea to leave intro to the end so you can confirm which factor you're going to argue is the most important/valid? My teacher says I should lay out a brief basis for my argument for my most important factor in the intro, but I don't know how it is until I fully write out my essay.
Original post by kittykatieboo
Do you know any history essay writing techniques? I'm on a low B at the moment and would like to secure a high B in the exam. Any tips would really help. Also, is it a good idea to leave intro to the end so you can confirm which factor you're going to argue is the most important/valid? My teacher says I should lay out a brief basis for my argument for my most important factor in the intro, but I don't know how it is until I fully write out my essay.

My teacher told me to argue both sides in the introduction - he also told me to have a success criteria to judge your essay on! I've been doing this and it has worked quite well. Do you use PEEL? Always do an intro at the start because it makes your brain think about how to structure an essay.
I always do:

INTRO - Set argument, argue both sides
1) FOR
2) AGAINST
3)FOR
4)AGAINST
Conclusion
It depends what comments your teacher is leaving.
You could have really good structure of your points and essay, but if you're lacking historiography and a good amount of facts they you won't hit higher marks.
^or visa-versa
As for the beginning intro, a good plan really helps with this. Or you could just leave a few lines and return to it at the end. We've been told to rewrite and then answer the question ,outlining the arguments, commenting on historiography and finishing with (optional) how the question could be reworded for the better, or your unique answer to the question.
(edited 8 years ago)
God I miss A level history (well really it was higher history as I am Scottish lol) :smile::tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest