The Student Room Group

If you could have a degree but without doing any work would you?

Scroll to see replies

If I could learn it all without doing the work, then yes. Otherwise, as others have said, it's pointless.

Well the poll seems quite stable at about 40% saying they would happily pay £27k for a piece of paper. What does that say about the value of education?
I don't think my degree really justifies just how far I have progressed academically, socially and personally. Many can assume I just had a laugh at University and just stayed up at night to do essays or crammed information to then regurgitate in exams; not the cast at all.

A lot of work went into my degree and my piece of paper does not cover all that has been achieved. The work I did is what made me, not the piece of paper received at the end of it. Without the work, it means nothing really.
If you asked me in high school if I could jump all my exams and get A's across the board I would have jumped at the chance. When I went to university and was studying something I was passionate about I found the studying to be more for my own personal progression than a piece of paper and I enjoyed all the work...mostly
Original post by skeptical_john
Well the poll seems quite stable at about 40% saying they would happily pay £27k for a piece of paper. What does that say about the value of education?

I'd pay that and be quite happy even if I was not to get that piece of paper. How I've progressed as an individual in priceless.

And that, my friend, just happens to be what is said about the value of education.
Scenario is this: You can have the degree with what ever classification you would've actually got given you had worked. You still have to take the tuition loans and all the other costs but you don't have to turn up to any lecture or do any of the work.

You are basically asking whether I want to time jump into the future?I would say yes I would get a fair grade based on what I would have gotten and don't have to bother doing the degree.
That's right. You can live at uni and do whatever you want with your time but you cant do any lectures or any of the work but still pay the £27k

Nah, I'd rather spend £27k travelling the world. The student lifestyle doesn't seem that great tbh.
Original post by Student403
I've chosen my uni partly because of the uni experience. So it would be kind of counterproductive to throw away 2-3 years worth of work to lose that

Wait, did you get a offer from MIT? I remember you posting a picture
of 'dream university/college' and someone posting a comment saying
"is that the white house?" :laugh:
Original post by ellie0497
Who ever claims they prefer working for it is lying

Not true at all. I'm doing a language degree and I want to get to a fluent level of Japanese. If I don't put in the work, then that's not going to happen. The fact that I'd have a piece of paper telling me I got a first is irrelllevant, since I wouldn't know any of what I went to study in the first place...
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Wait, did you get a offer from MIT? I remember you posting a picture
of 'dream university/college' and someone posting a comment saying
"is that the white house?" :laugh:

No lol

It's my dream but I haven't reached it :tongue:
Its pretty same as saying would u have babies without having sex ?
Original post by Duke Glacia

Kinda but two very different outcomes don't you think?

Also, I don't think the sex would it but rather the pregnancy months :')
Original post by FailedTeacher
Kinda but two very different outcomes don't you think?

Also, I don't think the sex would it but rather the pregnancy months :':wink:

Most people work hard because they love what they do.
Original post by Duke Glacia

If you're paying 27k for sex then that's some high class hooker!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
I think this already happens, its called an arts degree.
Original post by Maker

You mean those degrees where you have to be original, creative, innovative?

Do you mean science degrees where you repeat the same stuff? :')
Reply 36
Original post by FailedTeacher
You mean those degrees where you have to be original, creative, innovative?

Do you mean science degrees where you repeat the same stuff? :')

LOL, are you writing from your job at Starbucks?
It would be pointless if it was just a piece of paper, no more worthy of treasuring than toilet paper. It doesn't have any meaning attached to it, no sense of achievement...so what is the point? :redface:
Original post by Maker

Why do you feel like it's okay to undermine the arts/ humanities?
If you're paying 27k for sex then that's some high class hooker!

Sorry i meant intercourse with your spouse

Quick Reply

Latest