The Student Room Group

Do Dissertations Link to Employment and Opportunities?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of choosing my modules for 3rd year (my last year) at university. However, I'm not sure whether or not to opt for doing a dissertation (which counts as one module in my semester) as the university had stated that it is not necessary for English students to do so in order to obtain their degree.

I thought this was unusual at first because almost everyone I know does a dissertation on their course. But it made me wonder whether I would be at a disadvantage if I didn't do one?

For example, would employers often ask what you wrote in your dissertation or base any decision on the specific topic chosen or anything like that?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by jenny07
For example, would employers often ask what you wrote in your dissertation or base any decision on the specific topic chosen or anything like that?

For most fields employers are highly unlikely to be interested in the topic or content of your dissertation, but may well be interested in its practical implications for your skills. Having done one means you can write sentences in covering letters like:

I have significant experience of independent work—for example, in my final year I independently planned, researched and wrote a dissertation on a topic of my own choice. During this project I had to divide up my time between different priorities, organise archival visits and motivate myself on my own. I also...[other relevant examples of independent work from your CV go here].

That would be useful if you wind up applying for jobs which require you to have some experience of/aptitude or independent work or basic project management skills (writing an undergraduate dissertation is actually a basic project management task). Writing a dissertation is a chunk of work, and slightly terrifying because you have to operate on your own to some extent, but it can also be quite fulfilling and useful.

Equally, though, it's not like your degree is going to look awful without a dissertation, or anything -- your classification is important! -- and depending on what else you've been doing you might think you have enough experience of independent self-organised project work from extracurricular activities or paid work.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for the reply! This has helped me a lot in considering to do a dissertation. :smile:
Original post by jenny07
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of choosing my modules for 3rd year (my last year) at university. However, I'm not sure whether or not to opt for doing a dissertation (which counts as one module in my semester) as the university had stated that it is not necessary for English students to do so in order to obtain their degree.

I thought this was unusual at first because almost everyone I know does a dissertation on their course. But it made me wonder whether I would be at a disadvantage if I didn't do one?

Many thanks in advance!

My uni didn't require dissertations for the majority of humanities undergraduate courses and that hasn't stopped people from getting jobs. In fact most employers are far more likely to be interested in any work experience you have done than your dissertation and will probably only ask about it if its on a very relevant topic or you are going for a job requiring research skills.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
My uni didn't require dissertations for the majority of humanities undergraduate courses and that hasn't stopped people from getting jobs. In fact most employers are far more likely to be interested in any work experience you have done than your dissertation and will probably only ask about it if its on a very relevant topic or you are going for a job requiring research skills.

Thank you for the reply/help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending