The Student Room Group

Classics with Oriental Studies: Help wanted

Hi there, I'm currently a student in the Lower Sixth (studying Latin, Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics) interested in applying for Classics with Oriental Studies (or a Middle Eastern language) at university but I have some questions about the course. If anyone could provide some answers I would be really grateful!

1. What differences are there between doing Arabic and Persian, in difficulty, utility or interest for example?
2. What sort of things would you recommend reading or doing in order to prove an interest in the Oriental Studies area? (I already read into Classics)
3. Is learning the extra language a lot harder? I've always loved Latin and am worried that the extra language will detract greatly from that?

Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions
Original post by MCPClark
Hi there, I'm currently a student in the Lower Sixth (studying Latin, Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics) interested in applying for Classics with Oriental Studies (or a Middle Eastern language) at university but I have some questions about the course. If anyone could provide some answers I would be really grateful!

1. What differences are there between doing Arabic and Persian, in difficulty, utility or interest for example?
2. What sort of things would you recommend reading or doing in order to prove an interest in the Oriental Studies area? (I already read into Classics)
3. Is learning the extra language a lot harder? I've always loved Latin and am worried that the extra language will detract greatly from that?

Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions

Hi there,

I had an interview for Oriental Studies (Egyptology) at Oxford, although sadly I didn't get in. Anyway, feel free to drop me a PM!

Edminzodo

Quick Reply