The Student Room Group

What can you do with a Maths degree?

Scroll to see replies

There are quite a lot. Is there a particular field you're interested in? Or something you know for sure you want to stay away from?
Reply 21
Original post by Indeterminate
There are the obvious things that specifically require analytically-minded people, but you'll also pick up many transferable skills (this will open the door to a multitude of other professions :yes:).

And maths/physics degrees are widely considered to be the most difficult, which means that they're very well respected :biggrin:

Yeah, it just seems weird because to me, it seems like for many of the careers a maths degree gives, there is perhaps a more relevant course out there for that career.
Reply 22
Original post by Legendary Quest
There are quite a lot. Is there a particular field you're interested in? Or something you know for sure you want to stay away from?

I'm interested in finance e.g. derivs trading, Algo trading, hedge fund firm etc etc but im not fully decided and am also looking at engineering.

Maths is my strength so i would do something that is maths heavy
Original post by Youngmetro
thanks for that, looks like a very insightful website

No Problem. If it helps, I'm going on to do a PhD/Masters (all in one go, see http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cdt-communications/) in Communication Science. I'm in my final year, so I don't know exactly what people have gone on to do after a maths degree, but my friends have gone to places such as TSB (I saw the presentation TSB gave for this, it was basically looking at how you decide whether to give someone credit/mortgages ect based on their credit score) and HEFCE (the higher education funding council for england). There are lots of interesting applications of mathematics besides just being a maths teacher/going into academia, although these are certainly options. If you did decide to become a teacher, they're highly in demand, and the government incentivises graduates (dependent on grades I think) to go onto teacher training courses, to try and get new good quality teachers.
Reply 24
Original post by Associativity
No Problem. If it helps, I'm going on to do a PhD/Masters (all in one go, see http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cdt-communications/) in Communication Science. I'm in my final year, so I don't know exactly what people have gone on to do after a maths degree, but my friends have gone to places such as TSB (I saw the presentation TSB gave for this, it was basically looking at how you decide whether to give someone credit/mortgages ect based on their credit score) and HEFCE (the higher education funding council for england). There are lots of interesting applications of mathematics besides just being a maths teacher/going into academia, although these are certainly options. If you did decide to become a teacher, they're highly in demand, and the government incentivises graduates (dependent on grades I think) to go onto teacher training courses, to try and get new good quality teachers.

Ahh interesting, communication science never heard of that. Im not really interested in teaching, the thought of it horrifies me (work with children eugh). Im really looking into finance right now and have heard maths is useful. But idk, i was kinda hoping there was a greater range of stuff for math grads :smile:
You can do everything in finance, everything in business and a lot of things in science/engineering (a lot of employers take on maths graduates). Actuarial roles expo ably use your technical maths skills the most.
I'm interested in finance e.g. derivs trading, Algo trading, hedge fund firm etc etc but im not fully decided and am also looking at engineering.

Maths is my strength so i would do something that is maths heavy

Yep, Maths is ideal for those.

I have a Maths & Physics degree. I'm a doctor. Just to give you an idea of the variety....
Can someone gimme a full range of careers you can do with a maths degree?

thanks

A degree in mathematics/mathematical sciences can lead to a wide variety of jobs from data analysis,analytics, actuary, financial analyst/research, economist, software programming/engineering, code development, most forms of engineering, research and development, statistician, numerical modeller, quantity surveyor with a conversion course, further research in academia, risk exposure management, to name a few. The requirements for each role may state a mathematics degree plus conceptual/working knowledge of a particular field, others are more generic.
Contemplate the nature of the universe.

Quick Reply

Latest