Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what equation u got for the plane and what was the volume of the tetrahedron?
    I remember that i got 2 for the volume of the tetrahedron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A2 student)
    what equation u got for the plane and what was the volume of the tetrahedron?
    I remember that i got 2 for the volume of the tetrahedron.
    so did I!

p is 7 (i used a as the reference pt)

ReputationRep:
    P6 went abhorrently for me. I need an A in Pure Maths.

Answers I remember:

I got -root2/2, root2/2 and root 2 for a b and c (can't remember which was which)

Tetrahedron volume was 2 unit^3. p was 7, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    P6 went abhorrently for me. I need an A in Pure Maths.

Answers I remember:

I got -root2/2, root2/2 and root 2 for a b and c (can't remember which was which)

Tetrahedron volume was 2 unit^3. p was 7, I think.
    p for wat ?

ReputationRep:
    But the induction question was horrible! It took me half an hour thinking until I could prove it and I had only one hour to complete the rest of the paper.

ReputationRep:
    oh ... the vectors q ? ...

yeah it was 7 .... i thgought u were talking about the wierd matrice thing in p6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    its rite ... i got it 2 ... but they asked for the modulus of the det .... unless im forgetting sumthing important

p=3
    k=18
    a b c ... i dont remember which one was which ... but one was 2root2 root2 and -2root2 ...

i have a graphic calc and i chcek it useing the matrice funsction ...the answers work like a charm ...
    i got the same as u
    for the det i can't quite remember but i think it was somthing root 24

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    isnt it (-1)x(-1)x(-1)=-1?
    Well that's what you get when you calculate it, but the determinant is the scale factor of the volume so has to be positive. I can't really remember - we did 2x2 matrices at the beginning of year 12 and this was when we talked about what the determinant actually is and what it represents.

I got 2 for the volume of the tetrahedron too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    I got 2 for the volume of the tetrahedron too!
    ARGH forgot the 1/6 thing Didn't think it was too bad at the time now I've found all these stupid little slips.

ReputationRep:
    That was the worst P6 paper that i've ever done!
    I'm convinced that they swapped it at the last minute, cos the questions were in a dogey order, and it was all the crap stuff in P6! God I could kill the people who stole the original papers (if that was the case!) as we would have had a nice paper, instead!

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who found the question about proof by induction easy.I dont think so . I think it was the most horrible question in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who found the question about proof by induction easy.I dont think so . I think it was the most horrible question in the exam.
    I didn't find it too bad really - I got straight to the answer without making any mistakes, it was just time consuming for only 8 marks - took me 2 pages. It probably was the nastiest proof by induction question I've seen from a P6 paper though.

ReputationRep:
    For me it was time consuming as it required much thinking about it but when i got the idea 9after half an hour) it took half a page only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    isnt it (-1)x(-1)x(-1)=-1?
    I dont follow your reasoning, surely det(-I)

= det
    (-1 0 )
    ( 0 -1)

= (-1)X(-1) = 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ybx)
    i thought the exam was alright, not particular hard, i found the induction one quite challenaging, and i make a very silly mistake in Q5, other than that the rest of the paper is ok, i think i am going to get A in further maths, only 50% on this paper according to my calculation.
    now i just need get ready for M6 on thursday, althougth i didn't really need it
    oh man, you are doing m6~~~m5 is enough for me....
    i found the p6 easier than p4 somehow....

ReputationRep:
    Hm... I managed to do nearly all the paper except the proof. I fiddled around with that and made up some steps so I got out what seemed like a logical path.
    I screwed up a, b and c, though - I forgot to root it. *slaps head*

The last question came out okay, I think. But that was a nastier P6 than past papers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the problem was, I found it to be the easiest paper Ive done out of p4/5/6. All past papers were far harder than this one, you must have panicked like a *****.

ReputationRep:
    It was the worst question. As a form of compensation though, the vectors question was piss easy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the vectors was nice, but the proof was horrible, i decided not to waste time on it, as it appears it took people a long time anyway, and just wrote down what i would have done (the steps for the proof without the proof). I wonder if i will get a mark for it?

The matrix stuff was alright, and did anyone find that the two graphs at the very end of the complex numbers stuff were a circle (|Z| = 1) and a straight line (for the w plane) of y = -x.

Still got the joys of M4 and M6 to go.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I got y = -x as well.

That loci one pissed me off to begin with, then I realised I'd made such a stupid mistake that I'm not even going to say what it is.

anyway, I corrected it and got it out. The only think I am getting worked up about is the proof, and that's only worth 8 marks

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.