Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Decided not to have kids is kind of liberating. Watch

Deciding not to have kids takes no much pressure off life. I dont mean bringing them up as this can be an enjoyable/rewarding thing to do. I mean eliminating the pressure to find someone and settle down before 35, eliminating the biological clock and panic that can come with it. I can just focus on enjoying and improving myself whilst at the same time finding a partner that i get on with, but eliminating the rush. If i then decide to have children later well theres options of adoption etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Deciding not to have kids takes no much pressure off life. I dont mean bringing them up as this can be an enjoyable/rewarding thing to do. I mean eliminating the pressure to find someone and settle down before 35, eliminating the biological clock and panic that can come with it. I can just focus on enjoying and improving myself whilst at the same time finding a partner that i get on with, but eliminating the rush. If i then decide to have children later well theres options of adoption etc.
    Well seem like you have everything well thought out. Why are are making this thread? Unless you are unsure about it?

ReputationRep:

How old are you? I only ask because I don't know many people my age who are worried about biological clocks nshit.

I have been thinking about kids a lot though. If everything goes to plan and I end up in my chosen career, I'll be in a bit of a quandary.

To be successful in this career, I'd need to work very long hours. This means hiring some sort of nanny and (especially during the early years when kids go to bed really early) I'll only really spend time with the offspring at the weekends. The thought depresses me, I always imagined myself being very hands on and present in my children's lives. I don't think I could cope with barely seeing my babies.

I can definitely see why your decision to never have kids has left you feeling liberated!

(Original post by Mochassassin)
    Did you get a few of replies like this on the Mocha's road to real life thread

(Original post by Clockrice)
    Well seem like you have everything well thought out. Why are are making this thread? Unless you are unsure about it?
    Im always unsure, in fact im rarely ever sure.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a girl or guy and age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Are you a girl or guy and age?
    Guys tend to not think about biological clocks as much so it's probs a girl.

I sort of agree with OP. I would like children one day but I need to find a suitable partner and some kind of career sorted out. I'm failing at both at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Life will throw you a curve ball. It always does.

ReputationRep:
    Right now while I'm young, I don't think about kids and obviously never imagine myself with one, and have never felt any kind of pressure or desire to be settled down with them by the time m 35. I'm sure this, like everything, may change. I have moments where I think about the inspiration and purpose a child would bring; then I just think, "I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it." None of my family expect me to have grandkids and I don't like the idea of settling down just yet :-)

ReputationRep:
    Did you get a few of replies like this on the Mocha's road to real life thread
    Nope because there was a point to my thread (being a blog and all) and not just a random statement like, "I like chocolate".

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Guys tend to not think about biological clocks as much
    True, most seem to think their reproductive ability lasts forever. Its not true!

http://yourfertility.org.au/for-men/age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    True, most seem to think their reproductive ability lasts forever. Its not true!

http://yourfertility.org.au/for-men/age
    In an ideal world I'd wanna have a kid at 28 I think. I want to be in my 40s when they are teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck.
    Hope it works

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    In an ideal world I'd wanna have a kid at 28 I think. I want to be in my 40s when they are teenagers.
    When you try for a kid, you can't just say you want one at a certain age. If you want a kid by a certain age, you need to be trying for a surprisingly long period of time. E.g. to be near certain of a kid by 28, you'd perhaps (don't know what the actual numbers are) want to start trying as early as 25.

There are unfortunately lots of misconceptions around childbearing, which leads to a lot of heartbreak down the road... don't fall for them. Fertility is not something to take for granted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    When you try for a kid, you can't just say you want one at a certain age. If you want a kid by a certain age, you need to be trying for a surprisingly long period of time. E.g. to be near certain of a kid by 28, you'd perhaps (don't know what the actual numbers are) want to start trying as early as 25.

There are unfortunately lots of misconceptions around childbearing, which leads to a lot of heartbreak down the road... don't fall for them. Fertility is not something to take for granted.
    Yeah I know. There is also a load of other factors like having enough money, being with the right person, fulfilling and happy enough life that I can cope with throwing a kid into that. I said in an "ideal world". I doubt I;d start trying for a kid at 25 though since knowing my luck I'd probably get her pregnant on the first attempt . If I could choose a future I'd choose all those things and magic a baby at 28.

Don't worry OP. Do what I will do, isolate some egg cells and some diploid nuclei from my body cells. Then a bit of cutting and pasting and voila, a zygote that I can reinsert into my womb, which will go on to form not only my child, but my clone too. (I'll probably love it more as a result)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.