Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics student- not much other skills-help with internship Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a 1st year durham physics student with limited knowledge of other things, what can I do to improve this so I can apply to internships, (I dont mind much in what, its more the expereince of doing something rather than nothing), there arent many internships that accept just cause you do physics.

I do engage in extracurricular activities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thisguy11)
    I am a 1st year durham physics student with limited knowledge of other things, what can I do to improve this so I can apply to internships, (I dont mind much in what, its more the expereince of doing something rather than nothing), there arent many internships that accept just cause you do physics.

I do engage in extracurricular activities
    You must be a bright guy for Physics at Durham! Can you be more specific on what time of internship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    You must be a bright guy for Physics at Durham! Can you be more specific on what time of internship?
    Well if possible (unlikely), it would be this summer, next is fine too, I remmber going to the fair this year and they were fater 2nd years, all of things seem to require some side knowledge. Next year would also be fine (summer/)

If you meant to say type of internship, it just has to be summer and and give me any transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thisguy11)
    Well if possible (unlikely), it would be this summer, next is fine too, I remmber going to the fair this year and they were fater 2nd years, all of things seem to require some side knowledge. Next year would also be fine (summer/)

If you meant to say type of internship, it just has to be summer and and give me any transferable skills.
    I did apologies! Terrible typing today Okay... So in terms of internships this year most of the application cycle is far over, but you could try reach out to companies independently and any family or friend connection could help out! And unfortunately that doesn't help as say a finance internship will be vastly different to one in technology. Focus on what you enjoy and read more about it. In terms of transferable skills try maybe a side project? (Programming, Physics research etc) just to show you are a good independent worker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    I did apologies! Terrible typing today Okay... So in terms of internships this year most of the application cycle is far over, but you could try reach out to companies independently and any family or friend connection could help out! And unfortunately that doesn't help as say a finance internship will be vastly different to one in technology. Focus on what you enjoy and read more about it. In terms of transferable skills try maybe a side project? (Programming, Physics research etc) just to show you are a good independent worker.
    Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.