Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Power in the Employment Relationship - Essay Structure Advice watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on how to structure an essay I have to write. I'm taking a module from outside my department so it's pretty new to me.

'Power is a pervasive feature of the employment relationship'

I need to write an essay of ~2500 words that demonstrates this, with examples,

Any input greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banj0)
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on how to structure an essay I have to write. I'm taking a module from outside my department so it's pretty new to me.

'Power is a pervasive feature of the employment relationship'

I need to write an essay of ~2500 words that demonstrates this, with examples,

Any input greatly appreciated!
    Hey,

You should be able to find examples from your module framework about what kind of theoretical approaches have been looked at when addressing this type of question, but off the top of my head I would be looking to do something like:-

1) Starting off with an overview of neoliberal economic policy within recent Government's social policy. The most recent example of this being challenged is the trade union's reform bill the Conservative government is looking to enact. However, when considering leaders such as Thatcher, Blair, Cameron etc, there should be a whole variety of literature to refer to about their laissez-faire approach to free market regulations.

2) Once those practical examples have been outlined, you could draw upon classical and contemporary literature from Marxism to outline the critiques expressed towards capitalism. Additionally, if you wanted to intertwine this model of thought with the role that government plays in legitimising this power, you could make reference to Michel Foucault and what he states regarding biopower.

3) Outside of that, you could take a feminist focus to outline how patriarchal power is a key factor within the oppression of women. Gender roles not only risk diminishing their capacity to access certain industries, be promoted etc, but they're further disempowered by the way in which governments promote social policy that reinforces notions of women being responsible for child-rearing. As such, women face a 'dual burden' between having institutional barriers in employment, as well as sociopolitical barriers within social policy and welfare benefits (e.g. marriage tax-breaks).

That would be how I would look to approach it.

Hope that helps in some way!

Martin.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.