The Student Room Group

Dissertation Ideas

Hello,

I am not sure if I have posted this in the correct place so please feel to move if required. I will be going into third year of undergraduate level in September and I am trying to come up with some potential dissertation ideas that would be realistic to conduct. I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to offer some kind advice? It would mean a lot to me :-) .

My strength in terms of method is quantitative and my areas of interest are as follows:

- Body image dysmorphia in gay community or between the sexualities (I know there is a lot of research of body image dysmorphia already so I don't want to just repeat that)
- Attitudes towards healthy eating/physical activity in children - who has the responsibility?
- Predicting lifestyle factors that contribute to overeating
Reply 1
Original post by johnb22
Hello,

I am not sure if I have posted this in the correct place so please feel to move if required. I will be going into third year of undergraduate level in September and I am trying to come up with some potential dissertation ideas that would be realistic to conduct. I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to offer some kind advice? It would mean a lot to me :-) .

My strength in terms of method is quantitative and my areas of interest are as follows:

- Body image dysmorphia in gay community or between the sexualities (I know there is a lot of research of body image dysmorphia already so I don't want to just repeat that)
- Attitudes towards healthy eating/physical activity in children - who has the responsibility?
- Predicting lifestyle factors that contribute to overeating

You've already got areas of interest so just read further into one of these areas and you'll hopefully find a gap in the literature. By that I mean you may be able to find a study and repeat it but change one variable or something. Don't try to do something novel, honestly it's too stressful when you're trying to find literature to support your work. Also, most of the marks are for how well you report the study and that doesn't require you to do an amazing new study. Plus, you have to remember it's just an undergrad project so you'll have limitations.

You mention children, if you want to use them as participants you have to work out if it's feasible for you to be able to collect all your data by a certain time. You would need to approach parents or schools yourself and if you're asking parents you have to take into consideration that not that many might respond to your request. With schools, if you can get permission, it's pretty easy to get all your data in one day if you're doing questionnaires. If you're doing something more experimental then it gets more complicated. So it's all about the practicality, don't complicate it too much, thinking your work can't be good if you don't have an amazing paradigm. If you really are passionate about a complicated idea then after talking to your supervisor, making sure they're supportive of the idea, go for it even if it's harder than everyone else's. At least you'll care enough about it to continue wanting to work on it and not completely lose your will to live lol.

Quick Reply

Latest