Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In need to a bit of advice, hopefully someone can help.

I am 22, working half the week in a special needs school and the other half in a primary school and have recently moved out with my partner.
    I am interested in a career in speech and language therapy and have been for a few years now, unfortunately the closest universities offering the speech and language degree are in plymouth or cardiff, which are both about 1hour and 45 minutes away from me.
    Living in halls is not an option as I am paying to run a home with my partner so commuting daily would be the only option that I can think of. I am currently studying an A level so I can get in to university however as I am 22 they are very expensive and I will need to do two more after this year. So I am looking into an access to higher education course with the OU instead.

My other option would be to do a degree with the OU (which I wouldn't need the A levels or access course for) and then do a PGCE so I can become a teacher in a special needs school, I will be able to do this all whilst living at home and without having to commune far. I know I would enjoy this job but it isnt the dream.

What is your advice and what would you do? I am becoming increasingly stressed about the whole ordeal and do not have a clue of the best option, nor where I should look for advice hence why I am posting here.

I hope you can help and thank you in advance.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by JasHarris)
    In need to a bit of advice, hopefully someone can help.

I am 22, working half the week in a special needs school and the other half in a primary school and have recently moved out with my partner.
    I am interested in a career in speech and language therapy and have been for a few years now, unfortunately the closest universities offering the speech and language degree are in plymouth or cardiff, which are both about 1hour and 45 minutes away from me.
    Living in halls is not an option as I am paying to run a home with my partner so commuting daily would be the only option that I can think of. I am currently studying an A level so I can get in to university however as I am 22 they are very expensive and I will need to do two more after this year. So I am looking into an access to higher education course with the OU instead.

My other option would be to do a degree with the OU (which I wouldn't need the A levels or access course for) and then do a PGCE so I can become a teacher in a special needs school, I will be able to do this all whilst living at home and without having to commune far. I know I would enjoy this job but it isnt the dream.

What is your advice and what would you do? I am becoming increasingly stressed about the whole ordeal and do not have a clue of the best option, nor where I should look for advice hence why I am posting here.

I hope you can help and thank you in advance.
    Imagine commuting and entry requirements isn't an issue then what would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    Speech therapy, definitely.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by JasHarris)
    Speech therapy, definitely.
    Then i think you should go for that Maybe speak to your partner about moving closer so you can lessen your commute slightly as some sort of compromise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Imagine commuting and entry requirements isn't an issue then what would you choose?
    Following your dream is always the best solution in my opinion. If you choose teaching you might end up wandering what life would've been like if you had chosen SLT.
    If you can get your head around commuting to Plymouth then I would go with that. Your placements might be closer to your home as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you're both right actually and I agree that I might regret not studying speech therapy further down the line. I also wondered about, although stating the course is full time, some universities dont expect you in for everyday - so it may not be as bad as I think.

Thank you both very much for your words of advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.