The Student Room Group

No Choices

I currently haven't received any choices and I would like to know if anybody is in the same position as me (having to go through clearing) I would like to know what everyone's point of view is on this process
If anybody has received the choices they wanted through clearing in the past and if I am guaranteed to go to University in September (2016)
Original post by CocoJay
I currently haven't received any choices and I would like to know if anybody is in the same position as me (having to go through clearing) I would like to know what everyone's point of view is on this process
If anybody has received the choices they wanted through clearing in the past and if I am guaranteed to go to University in September (2016)

Hi

Which subject are you interested in? This forum (Healthcare) covers a whole range of courses/careers as you can tell from the stickied threads.
Reply 2
I am interested in Child Nursing ( Undergraduate ).
Original post by CocoJay
I am interested in Child Nursing ( Undergraduate ).

Ahhh - I've moved this into the Nursing and Midwifery forum for you (have a look around - this is where the current nursing applicants and students hang out - the stickied threads are usually the busiest and will get the best response).

It's almost unknown for children's nursing to be available in Clearing. Did you get any useful feedback from your choices that rejected you?

Have you looked for vacancies in UCAS extra? @Anglia Ruskin/@Anglia Ruskin University are advertising vacancies in child nursing on the UCAS website (although that doesn't always mean there are still places - sometimes there is a lag between courses closing and UCAS getting updated). So is @University of Brighton, @UWE Bristol, Bucks New, City, @Liverpool John Moores, @London South Bank University, @Middlesex University, @Plymouth University, @Sheffield Hallam University, @University of Wolverhampton

(the UWE course in Extra includes the foundation year option which might be worth exploring)
I'm just waiting for one choice to get back to me for children's nursing but other than them I have been placed on reserve for one uni and rejected from three others. I do have a place for learning disability nursing at a uni though after they contacted me. Have a look on ucas search it will show where there is still vacancies available for nursing.
Reply 5
Thank you for your help. does it matter that I have used up all my choices
Original post by CocoJay
Thank you for your help. does it matter that I have used up all my choices

See https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices for how Extra works
Have you thought about doing learning disability nursing?
You can work with children with disabilities and some places are now seconding ld nurses to become health visitors. Something which was previously unheard of.
There are plenty of options 😊
It's a brilliant branch but do what you're interested in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CocoJay

Hi

I have applied to midwifery and been rejected from all 5. I think initially it was through lack of UCAS points and going for higher universities than I should've. A big mistake I made was assume that unis would tailor offers to you like all other courses but the popularity of the course means that they can't set the bar too low. I was invited to a selection day at Keele but was unsuccessful and I'm still waiting for feedback.
My current plans are to complete my A levels to as high a standard as I possibly can and apply through clearing if there are any vacancies. Failing this, I will attend a year long access course at my local college to bump up my CV and apply again next year - hopefully more successfully and building on the skills the unis look for at selection days.
I hope this helps you :smile: all I can say is that applying for these courses is absolutely brutal and I know how it feels to be in your position! It is my dream to be a midwife but it's incredibly competitive and all you can do is be resilient. You just need to focus on your goal and never give up.
Reply 9
Hello,

I applied for child nursing two years ago when i was at college and it was the worst experience when all my friends got offers apart from me. I've taken two years out now, first year travelling and 2nd year i started an education degree which I didn't like.

The advice I give to you is don't give up on your dream, i applied again this year and got an offer at bournemouth uni for adult nursing, even though i did want to do child a few years ago i think adult has more scope and you can always go onto do child, it's my personal opinion but if you have your heart set on child, i'd go for it :smile:

Personally, now that i'm nearly 21 years old, i wouldn't have been ready to go into a nursing degree, if i was you I would take a year out do some travelling and work experience as you gain so much life experience and uni's like you to have that experience; i've found this from open days and interviews :smile:

I'm not giving you advice on what to do but i am just talking about my experiences. i know how disheartening it is when you don't get any offers, good luck with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest