Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, this is my first post so please bear with me. I'll try not to waffle too much.

I finished my undergrad degree (English Lit. 2.1 from Essex Uni) almost six years ago and I desperately wanted to pursue my masters but just did not have the money. I initially I thought I wanted to become a teacher so I took a job in a primary school as a TA. I have since decided that I didn't want to be a teacher anymore, however all my previous work experience was to do with education and I struggled to find work anywhere else. I now work as a school librarian and, while it's not a dream job, I have enjoyed some aspects of the work. Unfortunately, the pay is atrocious (under 12k p.a) and there is no progression so it's time to move on.

Basically, I have narrowed my interests and research experience to the following subjects: English, Librarianship, Archiving, Museum Studies and Medical Humanities. If I'm honest, I'd most like to do Medical Humanities as a voluntary research position I held a few years ago really opened up a huge interest in this subject for me. It doesn't exactly qualify me for a job at the end of the course, however. Museum Studies would be a dream too. Though I have never worked in a museum, the research position was based in one while I was employed privately. Archiving and Librarianship are subjects that would be most likely to get me a job at the end as I would be qualified for a particular position and I have to think about the future. I can't afford to be unemployed with two degrees to pay off, but they don't appeal as much as the other two. A small part of me hates the idea of being a librarian for the rest of my life. Most people still think of the boring old lady with a mousy brown bob and reading glasses stereotype and it irks me.

I'm just looking for a few different points of view really, either from people who are currently applying or studying their masters or those who have finished. What avenue would you choose? The one you most enjoyed or the one most likely to get you a job at the end? If you're not doing a subject directed as a specific job, what do you plan to do when you finish?

Last questions, I promise! If I did do an MA in Librarianship or Archiving, would it be unwise of me to pursue a PhD is something like Medical Humanities? Eventually, I would like to do my PhD and go into research or museum work to do with Med. Hums, so a librarianship qualification surely wouldn't hurt in the meantime? I suppose I'm just not as passionate about cataloguing books for the next five years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peege)
    Hi there, this is my first post so please bear with me. I'll try not to waffle too much.

I finished my undergrad degree (English Lit. 2.1 from Essex Uni) almost six years ago and I desperately wanted to pursue my masters but just did not have the money. I initially I thought I wanted to become a teacher so I took a job in a primary school as a TA. I have since decided that I didn't want to be a teacher anymore, however all my previous work experience was to do with education and I struggled to find work anywhere else. I now work as a school librarian and, while it's not a dream job, I have enjoyed some aspects of the work. Unfortunately, the pay is atrocious (under 12k p.a) and there is no progression so it's time to move on.

Basically, I have narrowed my interests and research experience to the following subjects: English, Librarianship, Archiving, Museum Studies and Medical Humanities. If I'm honest, I'd most like to do Medical Humanities as a voluntary research position I held a few years ago really opened up a huge interest in this subject for me. It doesn't exactly qualify me for a job at the end of the course, however. Museum Studies would be a dream too. Though I have never worked in a museum, the research position was based in one while I was employed privately. Archiving and Librarianship are subjects that would be most likely to get me a job at the end as I would be qualified for a particular position and I have to think about the future. I can't afford to be unemployed with two degrees to pay off, but they don't appeal as much as the other two. A small part of me hates the idea of being a librarian for the rest of my life. Most people still think of the boring old lady with a mousy brown bob and reading glasses stereotype and it irks me.

I'm just looking for a few different points of view really, either from people who are currently applying or studying their masters or those who have finished. What avenue would you choose? The one you most enjoyed or the one most likely to get you a job at the end? If you're not doing a subject directed as a specific job, what do you plan to do when you finish?

Last questions, I promise! If I did do an MA in Librarianship or Archiving, would it be unwise of me to pursue a PhD is something like Medical Humanities? Eventually, I would like to do my PhD and go into research or museum work to do with Med. Hums, so a librarianship qualification surely wouldn't hurt in the meantime? I suppose I'm just not as passionate about cataloguing books for the next five years!

You should just go with your heart. There's really no point in undertaking such a huge commitment in terms of both time and money if it's only going to lead to a career which you didn't want to do in the first place. The worst case scenario is that you end up doing a job you didn't want to do - which is what would happen if you did the 'employable' masters anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.