Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Deep deep depression that started a few days ago watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I am a lower sixth student about to do his AS exams. A few days ago I got a really bad hair cut. My hair was shoulder length before this happened. They cut it the style I wanted but a too short version that looked awful. I decided to shave it all off on an 8 guard. This is the biggest regret of my life. I would say I am quite good looking with long hair but this haircut has made me unbelievably ugly. I am not exaggerating. I look like a rat. I went into a mental breakdown and fell ill. My parents first thought I was just ill but now they understand it is being caused by my hair. I hate the look of it, the feel of it, it has no style whatsoever it doesn't even look like a military cut. I feel so utterly distraught. I am waking up in the night and feeling hopeless. I'm not hungry and I am making loads of ulcers in my mouth. I didn't go into school yesterday (first day back) and I haven't been revising for the last week when I should be. I feel like cancelling everything that is coming up. My dad forced me to go to school today and I went to the first lesson. Everyone laughed, and girls who I usually catch staring at me suddenly had no interest in me whatsoever. This isn't a matter of being strong and 'it will grow back', it will take at least six months to grow to the length at which it will look good, this time in which IT will look just as crap. I came home after the first lesson as my dad was waiting outside as I asked him too. I don't feel like going to school and I am behind with revision. I'm not hungry I'm tired and I'm causing stress on my parents. I feel I am going to fail my aS levels, I am motivated to do nothing, I just lay in bed but can't even sleep. Everyone is treating me as a different person, because I look like a different person. I feel so hopeless, it is not under my control, it isn't about mind power, I can do nothing. I feel so insecure I'm not even acting like the same purpose, no one wants anything to do with me. I have never felt this way in my life. I am a very clever and inspiring individual who brings a lot of joy to people. I have no idea what to do.

I don't think a GP would diagnose depression in this situation.

Your feelings are understandable though.
    I think you should start thinking more positively. Does it really matter that you don't look great right now? In the grand scheme of things, what matters more? Your AS exams and mental health or your hair cut? I don't mean to minimise your feelings but it really isn't a big deal. You say:

' I feel so hopeless, it is not under my control, it is about mind power, I can do nothing.'

But I disagree. You may not be able to control how people act towards you but you can definitely decide to change your mindset.

Your breakdown began before you even went to school so I'd say this whole thing is being fuelled by how you feel about yourself. You can control that. Remind yourself that looks are not the be all and end all. And stop convincing yourself that you're hideous and worthless. I bet once you start feeling more confident in yourself, you'll realise that other people probably aren't judging you as you think they are.

If they are, It's a bit messed up for people to treat you differently because of a haircut. It says a lot more about them than it does about your appearance.

I said that a GP probably wouldn't give you a depression diagnosis but if you continue thinking like this, it may well lead to an actual 'deep deep depression' that'll be a lot harder to come out of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyan Ink)
    Hi.

I am a lower sixth student about to do his AS exams. A few days ago I got a really bad hair cut. My hair was shoulder length before this happened. They cut it the style I wanted but a too short version that looked awful. I decided to shave it all off on an 8 guard. This is the biggest regret of my life. I would say I am quite good looking with long hair but this haircut has made me unbelievably ugly. I am not exaggerating. I look like a rat. I went into a mental breakdown and fell ill. My parents first thought I was just ill but now they understand it is being caused by my hair. I hate the look of it, the feel of it, it has no style whatsoever it doesn't even look like a military cut. I feel so utterly distraught. I am waking up in the night and feeling hopeless. I'm not hungry and I am making loads of ulcers in my mouth. I didn't go into school yesterday (first day back) and I haven't been revising for the last week when I should be. I feel like cancelling everything that is coming up. My dad forced me to go to school today and I went to the first lesson. Everyone laughed, and girls who I usually catch staring at me suddenly had no interest in me whatsoever. This isn't a matter of being strong and 'it will grow back', it will take at least six months to grow to the length at which it will look good, this time in which IT will look just as crap. I came home after the first lesson as my dad was waiting outside as I asked him too. I don't feel like going to school and I am behind with revision. I'm not hungry I'm tired and I'm causing stress on my parents. I feel I am going to fail my aS levels, I am motivated to do nothing, I just lay in bed but can't even sleep. Everyone is treating me as a different person, because I look like a different person. I feel so hopeless, it is not under my control, it isn't about mind power, I can do nothing. I feel so insecure I'm not even acting like the same purpose, no one wants anything to do with me. I have never felt this way in my life. I am a very clever and inspiring individual who brings a lot of joy to people. I have no idea what to do.
    eyyy now you know how ugly ppl feel.-. just like me -.-
    beside from that

it's not like this haircut is gonna scar you for like so it'll be fine, i mean it could be worse
    really? how long was your hair bro? wait you're a girl? short hair is ok right? like about down to your neck?

seriously it doesn't matter, why concentrate on appearances? it's not like you want to get a job in modelling or something??? Studies are more important at this time since exams are coming and if you don't concentrate then you're doomed.

ok so when i first went into school i got a super close shave, (almost no hair left on my head i'm a gay btw) i was definitely embarrassed when i went to school and didn't really want anyone to see me but when people took an interest in me to insult or complement or do anything i just ignored it and carried on with my life, it's nothing to do with them so why do they care?, good job they care but is there a huge problem and impact this will make on your life? no so just ignore it. Eventually things will die down and things will go back to normal, i guarantee it, but if you're going to be on and off with school then people will realise you want to hide yourself from them and will take more of an interest when you do go to school. Shrug it off and carry on seriously.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a cliche but, don't worry about how you look. Material things always come and go, so relying on them for happiness is futile. Treasure your character and abilities instead. Besides, if people are going to judge you based on your looks then they're unworthy of knowing you. Only shallow idiots judge others based on appearance and shallow idiots are the last people you should want to associate with.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...3.08.than.html - You should read the last stanza in particular, it's got good advice about these things. The whole thing is relevant though.

ReputationRep:
    If the only problem I had in life was a bad haircut I'd be jumping for joy. Please try and put things in perspective. If it really is that bad why not just get a wig? Seems like a simple fix.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.