Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My application to student finance (first year, 16/17) has been submitted and processed no problem. However, very suddenly my parents have come to the decision they are going to seperate. By the time I start university, I will only be living with one of them, meaning my household income is going to drop significantly and so I'll need to update student finance accordingly. What evidence will I need for this (are the legal seperation doccuments necassary? as these are apparently very expensive.) and how will I need to go about it?
    Thanks,
    Sherskul
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sherskul)
    Hi,
    My application to student finance (first year, 16/17) has been submitted and processed no problem. However, very suddenly my parents have come to the decision they are going to seperate. By the time I start university, I will only be living with one of them, meaning my household income is going to drop significantly and so I'll need to update student finance accordingly. What evidence will I need for this (are the legal seperation doccuments necassary? as these are apparently very expensive.) and how will I need to go about it?
    Thanks,
    Sherskul
    You'll need proof of separation. Usually this is either a letter from a solicitor or a letter from the council confirming "single person discount" on council tax.

You'll also need the parent you're living with to estimate their income for 2016/17.

The CYI form here is the one you'll need: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...ails/year-1617

It's best to overestimate slightly - if you underestimate then you could get loans clawed back next April and so end up with no funding for your summer term.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.