The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Ask ALL of you accommodation questions here

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

As you hold an unconditional offer, you are likely hear back from us in early August. BSMS students studying the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery qualification are guaranteed accommodation in their first year. We will try to allocate your first choice, but this is not guaranteed.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by Vashappeninkira
Hi
I have an unconditional offer to study medicine at BSMS. Medical student get to choose between lewes court or paddock fields. I have filled in the online application form and chose paddock fields as my first choice.

I haven't heard anything back yet. When will I be able to hear back from the accomodation office?
How likely am I to get my first choice?!
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Accomodation Team,

I tried calling today to no avail, just an answer machine that made no sense and was of no help. Is the deadline tonight at 11:59 or is it until tomorrow night? The site wouldn't let me in last night but I emailed the accommodation address and then today I was able to gain access and submit the formal one. Will this definitely be included as before the application deadline?

Also with Varley Park- Kingston and Framfield, how many loos and showers are there in each flat?

Lastly I have a drum kit I wish to bring, would I be able to play in hall or unihome, and if not then have access to a storage facility in campus where I can play it?

Cameron (Fresher for 2016-17, student at Falmer campus)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

The Accommodation Office is closed at weekends, and this was probably why you couldn't get through to us. We have replied to the emails you sent us regarding the first two issues.

There are no specific rules regarding drum kits. Phoenix, Varley, Moulsecoomb Place and Welkin Halls are all situated in residential areas and you are expected to respect your neighbours. The local councils also monitor noise disturbances and will fine students who persistently behave in an antisocial manner. Halls rooms might be too small for a drum kit anyway, so you may want to consider Unihomes or private sector housing.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by Cameron_Millar
Accomodation Team,

I tried calling today to no avail, just an answer machine that made no sense and was of no help. Is the deadline tonight at 11:59 or is it until tomorrow night? The site wouldn't let me in last night but I emailed the accommodation address and then today I was able to gain access and submit the formal one. Will this definitely be included as before the application deadline?

Also with Varley Park- Kingston and Framfield, how many loos and showers are there in each flat?

Lastly I have a drum kit I wish to bring, would I be able to play in hall or unihome, and if not then have access to a storage facility in campus where I can play it?

Cameron (Fresher for 2016-17, student at Falmer campus)
Hi I'm currently buying all the things I need for uni. I wanted to know if paddock fields allowed students to have a mini fridge in their room as I know some uni's don't allow this.
Thanks
Hi,

I'm afraid fridges and mini fridges are prohibited in bedrooms unless on medical grounds!

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Hi I'm currently buying all the things I need for uni. I wanted to know if paddock fields allowed students to have a mini fridge in their room as I know some uni's don't allow this.
Thanks
hello Brighton!
If I will study Fashion( grand parade campus) should I need to find accommodation in Grand Parade , right?
Also, I want to know if there are some free rooms in Grand Parade campus because I will come to this uni through adjustment.
Thank you!
Hi,

Unfortunately students coming to Brighton through Adjustment can't apply for university accommodation. This is because by the time you confirm your place with us, most halls will have been already allocated.

To search for houses in the private sector, the first step would be joining our Facebook house hunting group. More information about renting in the private sector can be found on our website. Most student houses are located in the Lewes Road Corridor, and a lot of them are within walking distance of Grand Parade campus. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us by email or phone!

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by costixatto
hello Brighton!
If I will study Fashion( grand parade campus) should I need to find accommodation in Grand Parade , right?
Also, I want to know if there are some free rooms in Grand Parade campus because I will come to this uni through adjustment.
Thank you!
Hi Brighton :colondollar: I applied for halls before the deadline (July 11th) however, I edited my preferences for accommodation (switching mouslecoomb for phoenix brewery as my first choice for halls) on the 22nd of July, post-deadline. Will this affect my chances of being allocated a room?
Hi,

This will not affect your chances of being allocated a room in university accommodation.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by SirKyrgystan
Hi Brighton :colondollar: I applied for halls before the deadline (July 11th) however, I edited my preferences for accommodation (switching mouslecoomb for phoenix brewery as my first choice for halls) on the 22nd of July, post-deadline. Will this affect my chances of being allocated a room?
Hi!
I just accepted my accommodation offer for an en-suite catered room in paddock field.

Will I have a kitchen in my flat even though I've opted for a catered meal plan?

Original post by University of Brighton
Hi,

This will not affect your chances of being allocated a room in university accommodation.

Thanks
Accommodation Team
Original post by University of Brighton
Hi,

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Hi I'm super excited to say that I have received confirmation for my accomodation at Paddock Fields !!!
I'm just buying the last bits and bobs now. I wanted to know where I can find out what the kitchen appliances are in the self catered kitchens ?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

You will be given breakfast and evening meals Monday to Friday during term time. You'll still have to prepare your own food at the weekends, so every flat has a fully equipped kitchen.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Original post by grvinayak
Hi!
I just accepted my accommodation offer for an en-suite catered room in paddock field.

Will I have a kitchen in my flat even though I've opted for a catered meal plan?
Hi,

Appliances provided in kitchens include a microwave oven, fridge-freezers, an oven, a toaster and a kettle.

You will need to bring your own cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.

Thanks
Accommodation Team

Hi I'm super excited to say that I have received confirmation for my accomodation at Paddock Fields !!!
I'm just buying the last bits and bobs now. I wanted to know where I can find out what the kitchen appliances are in the self catered kitchens ?!
Reply 33
Hi,
I'm still waiting to hear if I've been successful with my halls accommodation application. When and how will I be notified?
Thanks
Helloo again Brighton. :colondollar: I have a few questions mostly regarding those paying for catered accommodation.

Firstly, is there a limit per day on how much food (within reason) one can take from the canteen? I.e. can I go back for seconds, and thirds if I'm feeling extra hungry, and would this all remain free? Are there rules against me putting my dinner from the canteen in my own plastic container and storing some/all of it in my flat's fridge for later in the evening, or must all food be consumed on-site?

Also, what internet speeds are typical for paddock fields halls of residence? Are there restrictions on large downloads/peer to peer sharing/streaming and such? And finally, to what extent can my activities on the network be monitored? I.e. can/are the websites I visit logged and to what level of detail? i.e. if I am on youtube, can the precise video I'm watching be seen, or when completing forms is there any way the university can/will see or intercept any data I am sending such as addresses or credit card numbers? Quite simply, what trade-off can I expect between network security/performance and my own privacy/autonomy?
Original post by Pigsear
Hi,
I'm still waiting to hear if I've been successful with my halls accommodation application. When and how will I be notified?
Thanks

If you have an unconditional then you will get an email to the email you used for UCAS. The same applies to a conditional offer but your student central will be updated if you meet your conditions before an email is sent out :smile:
Hi,

You are likely to receive an email informing you of your accommodation by end of this week or next week.

Thanks,
Accommodation Team

Original post by Pigsear
Hi,
Thanks
Hi,

I would suggest contacting the Hospitality Services regarding the Eat In scheme, they might be able to answer your questions: [email protected]

The university of Brighton uses the international eduroam service. You can find more information about it here: https://staff.brighton.ac.uk/is/computing/Pages/Wireless/Wireless.aspx

Thanks,
Accommodation Team

Original post by SirKyrgystan
Helloo again Brighton. :colondollar: I have a few questions mostly regarding those paying for catered accommodation.

Firstly, is there a limit per day on how much food (within reason) one can take from the canteen? I.e. can I go back for seconds, and thirds if I'm feeling extra hungry, and would this all remain free? Are there rules against me putting my dinner from the canteen in my own plastic container and storing some/all of it in my flat's fridge for later in the evening, or must all food be consumed on-site?

Also, what internet speeds are typical for paddock fields halls of residence? Are there restrictions on large downloads/peer to peer sharing/streaming and such? And finally, to what extent can my activities on the network be monitored? I.e. can/are the websites I visit logged and to what level of detail? i.e. if I am on youtube, can the precise video I'm watching be seen, or when completing forms is there any way the university can/will see or intercept any data I am sending such as addresses or credit card numbers? Quite simply, what trade-off can I expect between network security/performance and my own privacy/autonomy?
Hello,
I was wondering how many bathrooms are shared in a non-ensuite flat of 6-8 people?

Thanks
Reply 39
Hello,

A few days ago one of the admins on Facebook made a post about sending in some of your details to accommodation to 'gauge out how many students are still looking for accommodation.' I was just wondering if the accommodation team are going to reply in the very near future.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending