The Student Room Group

Huge mistake

What do you do when you realise you're in the middle of a uni degree in your hometown but you wish you had moved away to your insurance choice and done a completely different subject?

do you get your degree and then do a postgraduate course to explore your options? I feel so stressed and down about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can you afford to move away and start again? Or is living at home the only option?
Two options really...

A) move away and begin again but it depends if you can afford it or not
B) find a way to motivate yourself to finish where you are then move away for post grad.
Reply 3
Thanks guys

Not sure how I would fund my post-grad, as I wouldn't receive any student loans if I moved away would I? Am I right in thinking this?
Reply 4
Original post by DrSocSciences
Can you afford to move away and start again? Or is living at home the only option?

I could move away but I think my parents want me to complete this degree first :frown:
Original post by nyancats
Thanks guys

Not sure how I would fund my post-grad, as I wouldn't receive any student loans if I moved away would I? Am I right in thinking this?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/finance-and-support/postgraduate-fees-and-funding

There are postgraduate loans being introduced for 2016 entry and afterwards, which you could apply for if you wanted to do a masters qualification :smile:

Also, if you decide to go into teaching, you can apply to Student Finance, as well as get healthy bursaries from the government, the amount of which varies depending on your subject and final degree classification
Original post by nyancats
I could move away but I think my parents want me to complete this degree first :frown:

Ok. Well, be sure to separate the respective issues of :
1.completing a degree and
2. moving away.

Is there a student counselling service that could advise you about transferring elsewhere, so that you could complete a degree but living away from home?
Reply 7
Hey buddy, Im in the exact same position as you. DM and maybe i can give you some advice...
Reply 8
Original post by DrSocSciences
Ok. Well, be sure to separate the respective issues of :
1.completing a degree and
2. moving away.

Is there a student counselling service that could advise you about transferring elsewhere, so that you could complete a degree but living away from home?

Yeah :smile:
I think the main issues is that I don't want to do this degree subject anymore, but i'm so far into it. I would prefer to move away but might have to do that later in life.
Reply 9
Original post by A wave
Hey buddy, Im in the exact same position as you. DM and maybe i can give you some advice...

Hope you're ok . No idea how to DM someone I barely use this site!:giggle:
Reply 10
Original post by super_kawaii
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/finance-and-support/postgraduate-fees-and-funding

There are postgraduate loans being introduced for 2016 entry and afterwards, which you could apply for if you wanted to do a masters qualification :smile:

Also, if you decide to go into teaching, you can apply to Student Finance, as well as get healthy bursaries from the government, the amount of which varies depending on your subject and final degree classification

Yeah. Apparently it is capped at £10000 though isn't it? So the postgrad course I was looking at costs £6k. Not much left over to live e.g. rent, food, bills etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending