Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school along with most others goes through a selection process before allowing some of the applicants to apply for Oxbridge. However, for me, due to my bad GCSEs (A*, 3As and 6Bs), I would be turned down straight away. Over this past year however, my predicted grades have increased to 1A*, 2As and a B for my end of A level results and I have had a recent interest in human, social and political sciences at Cambridge, with its standard A level requirement being A*AA. I have also taken the initiative to go and take part in extra curricular activities such as: go to Nepal to build a school for those in need, work in a government office, volunteer for my local MP, read a number of books on sociology, politics and economics as well as apply for a summer school course on at LSE (which I will hopefully get). Taking all of this into account, is it worth me applying for the course at Cambridge and if so, how could I take the admissions test without doing it through the school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kt21)
    My school along with most others goes through a selection process before allowing some of the applicants to apply for Oxbridge. However, for me, due to my bad GCSEs (A*, 3As and 6Bs), I would be turned down straight away. Over this past year however, my predicted grades have increased to 1A*, 2As and a B for my end of A level results and I have had a recent interest in human, social and political sciences at Cambridge, with its standard A level requirement being A*AA. I have also taken the initiative to go and take part in extra curricular activities such as: go to Nepal to build a school for those in need, work in a government office, volunteer for my local MP, read a number of books on sociology, politics and economics as well as apply for a summer school course on at LSE (which I will hopefully get). Taking all of this into account, is it worth me applying for the course at Cambridge and if so, how could I take the admissions test without doing it through the school?

LSE's summer school is for uni students I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wammio)
    LSE's summer school is for uni students I think...
    They're doing summer schools for those in year 12 and 13 too
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by kt21)
    Taking all of this into account, is it worth me applying for the course at Cambridge and if so, how could I take the admissions test without doing it through the school?
    You basically can't. See my reply in your other thread.

Technically you can take the test at any centre but you would still need your school's support for the rest of your application (notably your reference).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.