Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been looking for a house for about 6 months now and I've finally found the exactly what I'm looking for.
    The house was on sale for £450,000 however I originally offered £445,000 because it needs a bit of work doing to it. Not only that but the house has been on the market for 9 months and I'm in a good position in terms of not having a chain behind me. The offer was declined, so I decided to offer what they were asking for, £450,000. When I put my offer to the estate agent they advised me that there was another interested party and that they had put in a slightly higher offer. I knew that my max budget was £460,000 so I offered £455,000 (I really like this house). A day flew past and I hadn't heard anything so I called the estate agents and they said that the offer had been declined and that the owner will only accept an offer of £460,000 (I had told the estate agents that this was my max budget), i was furious because of the house is on the market for £450,000 but the owner will only offer £460,000. I told the estate agent that my final offer is £457,500 and he said he'd get back to me.
    Having stepped back and reviewed what's happened I'm concerned that the estate agents are scamming me. Also, since I upped my offer they've not mentioned anything about anyone else who is interested. I'm starting to think that the reason this house has been on the market so long is because they've been mucking any interested parties around. Really not sure what to do, and the worst part is that I love the house!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Stk1010)
    Hey, I've been looking for a house for about 6 months now and I've finally found the exactly what I'm looking for.
    The house was on sale for £450,000 however I originally offered £445,000 because it needs a bit of work doing to it. Not only that but the house has been on the market for 9 months and I'm in a good position in terms of not having a chain behind me. The offer was declined, so I decided to offer what they were asking for, £450,000. When I put my offer to the estate agent they advised me that there was another interested party and that they had put in a slightly higher offer. I knew that my max budget was £460,000 so I offered £455,000 (I really like this house). A day flew past and I hadn't heard anything so I called the estate agents and they said that the offer had been declined and that the owner will only accept an offer of £460,000 (I had told the estate agents that this was my max budget), i was furious because of the house is on the market for £450,000 but the owner will only offer £460,000. I told the estate agent that my final offer is £457,500 and he said he'd get back to me.
    Having stepped back and reviewed what's happened I'm concerned that the estate agents are scamming me. Also, since I upped my offer they've not mentioned anything about anyone else who is interested. I'm starting to think that the reason this house has been on the market so long is because they've been mucking any interested parties around. Really not sure what to do, and the worst part is that I love the house!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^this

Walk away.

It will still be for sale in a couple of weeks, then offer £425k. Take or leave it.

And don't allow them to try to gazump you as you near completion. Always be prepared to walk away.

Buying a house is a complete pain. But try not to get emotionally invested in it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.