Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I honestly cannot live with the amount of anxiety I have. The suffering it is causing means I just can't live my life normally. I'm doing my GCSEs soon and I'm a complete wreck, but what I'm really worried about is starting college in September. I know I'll suffer a great deal, and I honestly can't see myself getting a coach and arriving in the college and finding a seat in class because even the thought of it is making me panic. Starting high school was bad enough, but I know college, now I'm at thus stage, will be a million times worse.

I've been mostly anti-medication, not for any particular reason, I guess I just felt I'd be able to handle myself. But honestly, if some sort of medication would help just take the edge off my anxiety, I think it would do me wonders.

I just don't know the protocol for it, and the affects, advantages, disadvantages, etc etc. I also don't know how to tell my parents I want to try anxiety medication.

Yes, I have tried counselling for about four years and it has literally done nothing for me.

Any help/info is appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by saladays)
    I honestly cannot live with the amount of anxiety I have. The suffering it is causing means I just can't live my life normally. I'm doing my GCSEs soon and I'm a complete wreck, but what I'm really worried about is starting college in September. I know I'll suffer a great deal, and I honestly can't see myself getting a coach and arriving in the college and finding a seat in class because even the thought of it is making me panic. Starting high school was bad enough, but I know college, now I'm at thus stage, will be a million times worse.

I've been mostly anti-medication, not for any particular reason, I guess I just felt I'd be able to handle myself. But honestly, if some sort of medication would help just take the edge off my anxiety, I think it would do me wonders.

I just don't know the protocol for it, and the affects, advantages, disadvantages, etc etc. I also don't know how to tell my parents I want to try anxiety medication.

Yes, I have tried counselling for about four years and it has literally done nothing for me.

Any help/info is appreciated.
    If your want your parents to know/approve then you need to sit down with them and explain how you're feeling and that you want to go to your GP about it (you don't necessarily need to say that you want medication, as this might come as a shock, parents often react badly to their children wanting mood-altering medications).

All you need to do is make an appointment with your GP. They might do an anxiety and depression questionnaire to try and work out how you're feeling and will ask you to explain what's been going on. Whether they offer you medication based on this is at their discretion, and you should be prepared for them to say that they don't feel you need it at this time, or suggesting something different like CBT.

Commonly, antidepressants are also prescribed for anxiety, just because of the way they work in the brain. Common ones to be started on are SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), such as Sertraline or Citalopram. There is great info on NHS Choices about these (I'll link below). You might also be given a beta-blocker such as Propanalol, which helps to slow the heart rate and relax you. You would need to discuss with your doctor how long-term these would be, as again, this is at their discretion.

Not to put you off, but there are also lots of disadvantages, or things to consider. Medication can be a long process to try and change doses and find the correct combination of drugs to make a difference to you. Many can't be stopped immediately (such as Citalopram), you need to be weaned off them, so bear this in mind if you are unsure about taking this step. It could easily be months before you find a dose of a drug that works for you, as most take 4-6 weeks to take any effect, and some people don't manage to find anything that makes much of a difference. However, for most people they do have some improvement with medication but this is ultimately a decision you need to weigh up for yourself.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ssris-(...roduction.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Good advice above.

SSRIs are effective but do take weeks to work. A big disadvantage of them is sexual dysfunction.

There are also benzodiazepines which can be used as a short term fix. But self medicating with these is a recipe for disaster as they are addictive.

You really need to go and see your doctor and see what he/she recommends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.