Getting a predicted grade in a one-year self-studied A level?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently in my AS year. I'm looking to do a fifth A level next year to boost my university applications. I was thinking Maths because I've heard it's the easiest of the subjects to self-study, and I used to be fairly good at it. I got an A at GCSE. I'll be applying to Cambridge by October though. With such a short time before I apply, how will I get a predicted grade for it? Will I even be able to put it on my application? If I managed to get straight A's for my (completely humanities) AS, would my sixth form be willing to just assume I'm going to get an A? I won't be attending any of the classes though; I'd be self-studying it.

So basically, how would I get a predicted grade to put on UCAS for an A level that I'm going to be self-studying in a single year?

(Just ignore the problem of doing well in a one-year A level for the purposes of this thread)

Thanks
math42
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the sixth form. Mine just thankfully assumed I'd get an A* in Further Maths self-studying it in one year.
Abstract_Prism
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
Depends on the sixth form. Mine just thankfully assumed I'd get an A* in Further Maths self-studying it in one year.
I suppose you were in a better situation than me though because your teachers had already seen your aptitude in Maths. I only do humanities subjects though.

Do you think they'd just look at my AS grades and say 'Hmm, you've got A's in all your other subjects, so it's safe to assume you'll get an A in this as well'?

Could they even predict a grade for something they've never seen me do? Could I just predict my own grade, or just say what I'm aiming towards? By the time I apply to uni I'll have only been doing it for like two months. :/
jw32836
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
how did this turn out? very interested as I'll be facing the same problem
FantasyAngel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm in a similar situation, but I'm in year 12. How did it go?

(Original post by jw32836)
how did this turn out? very interested as I'll be facing the same problem
Me too, I just started year 12 and I want to self study maths but I don't think I'll get a good grade if I take it 2022. But, how will I get a predicted grade? How did you tackle this?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FantasyAngel)
I'm in a similar situation, but I'm in year 12. How did it go?

Me too, I just started year 12 and I want to self study maths but I don't think I'll get a good grade if I take it 2022. But, how will I get a predicted grade? How did you tackle this?
You can't provide a prediction for a wholly self-studied subject. You either appy without one, (unis are used to this), or you take enough tuition that a tutor is prepared to provide one, (which they can communicate to whoever is submitting your reference.).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads