Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If anyone goes to Sheffield university, how do you find it?
    What's good/bad?
    I'm going to study English&Philosophy.
    Any views would be appreciated as I can't decide between here and Southampton!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Visit both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Visit both
    I have, I just wanted opinions from people who go there

ReputationRep:
    hey! i dont study english&philosophy here, but i do attend southampton It's definitely a great uni, has a really good reputation and does very well in terms of academics. The lecturers (at least mine) have all been good to me so far and are helpful when you need them to be. The downsides however, would be the city in my opinion. There isnt a lot to do around here, besides clubbing in the evenings and shopping during the day. As it's a campus uni, it is about a 30min bus ride to the city centre which is quite the bummer. People say its close to london and such, but realistically yall are uni students, we aint got the time or money for such outings xD i'd say go to the university where both the city and academics are good to you, obviously prioritising the academic side first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaj97)
    If anyone goes to Sheffield university, how do you find it?
    What's good/bad?
    I'm going to study English&Philosophy.
    Any views would be appreciated as I can't decide between here and Southampton!
    Hiya,

I go to the University of Sheffield and I love it, I'm so glad that I picked to come here. The city is great, there's a really good night life, it's one of the greenest cities and we're right next to the peak district. Plus, the University's teaching is great and it's easy to get help when you need it. Additionally there's always lots on that you can get involved with from volunteering to sport to meeting prospective employers.
    Do you have any questions about the University? 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychlover2016)
    hey! i dont study english&philosophy here, but i do attend southampton It's definitely a great uni, has a really good reputation and does very well in terms of academics. The lecturers (at least mine) have all been good to me so far and are helpful when you need them to be. The downsides however, would be the city in my opinion. There isnt a lot to do around here, besides clubbing in the evenings and shopping during the day. As it's a campus uni, it is about a 30min bus ride to the city centre which is quite the bummer. People say its close to london and such, but realistically yall are uni students, we aint got the time or money for such outings xD i'd say go to the university where both the city and academics are good to you, obviously prioritising the academic side first.
    thank you so much! It's so much better to hear comments from an actual person that a glossy magazine haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IzzySheffield)
    Hiya,

I go to the University of Sheffield and I love it, I'm so glad that I picked to come here. The city is great, there's a really good night life, it's one of the greenest cities and we're right next to the peak district. Plus, the University's teaching is great and it's easy to get help when you need it. Additionally there's always lots on that you can get involved with from volunteering to sport to meeting prospective employers.
    Do you have any questions about the University? 😀
    Thank you for replying! I don't know how much you might know about this. But if I start my course as a dual, how easy would it be to change to single honours earlyish on? I'm not sure on the Philosophy part of my course, so was thinking of changing to straight English. No worries if you don't know, I should probably ask UCAS in the week I have left haha :call:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by annaj97)
    Thank you for replying! I don't know how much you might know about this. But if I start my course as a dual, how easy would it be to change to single honours earlyish on? I'm not sure on the Philosophy part of my course, so was thinking of changing to straight English. No worries if you don't know, I should probably ask UCAS in the week I have left haha :call:
    You can always change within the first 4 weeks, after that you might be stuck with it although you should be able to tend towards one over the other, I'd check what your module choices are though.

ReputationRep:
    No problem! I'd email the University to double check if I was you, but most courses have a change over period early on in the academic year for a few weeks so you can try out the subjects. In these few weeks it's really quite simple to change from a dual to a single honors if you want to I think you'd just have to talk to your personal tutor about it

ReputationRep:
    I'm at UoS as a mature student; the classes are good, but I feel very isolated as a student and the alleged mature student support is laughable.

If you're younger, go to UoS; if you're older, consider it, but forget the mature student support offered.

ReputationRep:
    What is the weather like? I live in Switzerland (near Lake Geneva), and always hear English expatriates talk about the UK weather in disparaging terms. When I checked some weather-statistics sites on the internet they say that rainfall levels in Sheffield are twice as high as in the southeast (e.g. Surrey) or even Coventry.

Has anyone lived in both Sheffield and Geneva/Lausanne and can compare from personal experience?

ReputationRep:
    If you fancy changing to single honours now just email the department and see. They still accept admissions into english. You can sometimes change your course on ucas or reapply for 11 quid. But you can probably just do it within the department.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.