Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After being told by my school that I should take 4 a-levels, I am worried about choosing my fourth. I have chosen chemistry, biology and maths so far as I am hoping to study vet med at uni (hard as that might be to get into).

I was considering English Lit or Psychology, but I'd like to know:
    1. Which is preferred at universities for vet med/medicine courses?
    2. Which would be harder to get a good grade in (seeing as I haven't done psychology before, and English is not my favourite subject by any means)?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you like the most. Generally speaking English Literature is a more respected subject from the unis but psychology is also a good choice. They have both diffuculties and many things to learn but gerally i think that the are not fitting with your course in anyway. If I were you and I had to pick one of the two I would take english literature because at least is helpful on your writting and thinking skills as an essey based subject. but if you would like to study medicine and not vet medicine i would pick psychology, is more relivant with human being. In your case both a levels are not really helpful for your course, they are useful for you as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused90210)
    After being told by my school that I should take 4 a-levels, I am worried about choosing my fourth. I have chosen chemistry, biology and maths so far as I am hoping to study vet med at uni (hard as that might be to get into).

I was considering English Lit or Psychology, but I'd like to know:
    1. Which is preferred at universities for vet med/medicine courses?
    2. Which would be harder to get a good grade in (seeing as I haven't done psychology before, and English is not my favourite subject by any means)?
    Hi there I'm a second year vet student at the RVC. In terms of A levels it is always good to start with 4 as you can always drop subjects.There is often a big jump between GCSE/ A-level and sometimes it's difficult to know which subject you prefer until you actually start the course. For VetMed Chemistry and Biology are required by most universities, some maths skills are useful for VetMed. Some of my friends studied english literature at A-level and found it pretty hard, the same with psychology. If you pick the one you enjoy you will be more motivated to study but in terms of universities either psychology or english is fine as long as you are also taking biology and chemistry. When I did A-levels I started off doing Biology, Chemistry, maths, further maths, geography and an extended project qualification. Struggled with the maths and ended up with Chemistry, Biology and Geography A-levels, Maths AS and an extended project qualification . Let me know if you have any questions I can help with and I hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vetstudent333)
    Hi there I'm a second year vet student at the RVC. In terms of A levels it is always good to start with 4 as you can always drop subjects.There is often a big jump between GCSE/ A-level and sometimes it's difficult to know which subject you prefer until you actually start the course. For VetMed Chemistry and Biology are required by most universities, some maths skills are useful for VetMed. Some of my friends studied english literature at A-level and found it pretty hard, the same with psychology. If you pick the one you enjoy you will be more motivated to study but in terms of universities either psychology or english is fine as long as you are also taking biology and chemistry. When I did A-levels I started off doing Biology, Chemistry, maths, further maths, geography and an extended project qualification. Struggled with the maths and ended up with Chemistry, Biology and Geography A-levels, Maths AS and an extended project qualification . Let me know if you have any questions I can help with and I hope this helped.
    Is it really a bad idea to not take Maths for A-levels? I'm not picking it and choosing English and Psychology instead (together with the required Biology and Chemistry), but this is because I found Maths extremely hard at GCSE level. Would it be that big of a disadvantage at university without Maths A-level? Are many of the things learnt from Maths A-level applied at the vetmed course in university?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I did similar subjects to you in that I did Maths & Biology but no Chemistry, and I picked Psychology while never having studied it before. While Psychology did go well for me, it was quite awkward until very close to the exams because it is primarily essay based (atleast with AQA) and there are no specific guidelines on where to get marks, everything fits into bands which the examiner uses to subjectively mark your essays and so you need to crack your essay style, manage time really well (something I really struggled with because I can write really good essays but the time constraints were too much, like 700 words in 30 minutes which doesn't give you too much time to think, you kind of had to know what to write for any question that came up and write as quick as possible..). And then of course you have to learn studies as well as concepts, they're just required. However with the spec changes I believe the exam style has changed a bit too so there are more smaller questions, which sounds better to me.

So with that being said, while Psychology did go well for me snd I think anyone could do well if they committed to it, if I could go back I would probably pick an English as it offers the same writing opportunities but it's more focused on something I'd be used to as opposed to learning something quite different.

If the AS courses were still available I might recommend Psychology as a 4th because then you could drop it after the AS year, however as courses are now 2 years with no AS I'm not sure it would be wise, you're better off keeping something you feel okay with like English.
    I'm not really sure how that works now, as most students before would do 4 AS subjects and drop one to do 3 A2 subjects. You won't have that option will you? Doing 4 A2s, while of course manageable does seem a bit much, especially if the universities you're interested in won't require it. I'd have a look around the university sites and speak to your teachers first, but if I were you I'd see if you could enroll on 3 subjects and do an EPQ or something? That's just my thought, but if you intend to do a 4th subject, between English Lit. and Psychology I would probably advise English Lit. based on convenience. Thing is, you probably still have the same wider options available to you regardless of that 4th subject, like if you were open to doing something different like a Psychology or Neuroscience degree instead, I'm pretty sure Biology and Chemistry are more sought after than Psychology anyway!
    Hope this gives you an idea.

P.S. I just realised this post is from quite a few months ago, just saw it on the homepage so I hadn't checked.. but if you read this hopefully it'll be of

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.