Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school offers Latin,Spanish and French.

ReputationRep:
    Chinese, German, Spanish and French

ReputationRep:
    French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    french, german, spanish, latin, mandarin

ReputationRep:
    Just Spanish and French now, I think they cut out German.

ReputationRep:
    French, German and Latin

ReputationRep:
    french spanish hindu tamil gujurati or punjabi. French and spanish are compulsary but some students take another language like the other three

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Chinese, German, Spanish and French
    Mandarin as an additional language for native speakers or do they actually teach Mandarin to those who do not know any Mandarin?My school offers additional gcse but they do not help you they are only for natives who need to prepare themselves for the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Mandarin as an additional language for native speakers or do they actually teach Mandarin to those who do not know any Mandarin?My school offers additional gcse but they do not help you they are only for natives who need to prepare themselves for the exams.
    Nah it's for everyone , so second option. But I know like 2 people dropped it as it was quite difficult I think. Personally I do German and it's great.

Are you a native speaker?

ReputationRep:
    My school used to offer French and Spanish... now it's just spanish because they claim 'there isn't enough french teachers about.' My school sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's for everyone , so second option. But I know like 2 people dropped it as it was quite difficult I think. Personally I do German and it's great.

Not in Mandarin but in another language.You are very lucky your school offers mandarin I hate french but it is much better than Spanish which I dislike even more.

ReputationRep:

Not in Mandarin but in another language.You are very lucky your school offers mandarin I hate french but it is much better than Spanish which I dislike even more.I would love to do Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    French, German and Spanish, but no one ever took Spanish because it wasn't available years 7-9 or for A Level

ReputationRep:
    My school offered French & German only.

ReputationRep:
    Just French. The odd person does German as well, but they had to do French early, which is why I didn't apply.

ReputationRep:
    only spanish & french and we weren't even allowed to choose both & they don't offer it at a-level flop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    only spanish & french and we weren't even allowed to choose both & they don't offer it at a-level flop
    What about people who wanted to do languages at A Level? Surely that's discrimination?

If I ever have children, I'll expect them to be functionally trilingual by the time they finish secondary school. If not, I will have failed them in today's ever globalised world

ReputationRep:
    German and French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    What about people who wanted to do languages at A Level? Surely that's discrimination?

If I ever have children, I'll expect them to be functionally trilingual by the time they finish secondary school. If not, I will have failed them in today's ever globalised world
    I've chosen a language at a-level (French - I think I'm the only person in my year who's chosen a language) and I have to go to another school. I think it's because there's only one spanish teacher and one french teacher, and between them they have to teach year 7-11, including GCSE, so it'd probably be too much to teach a-level, which sucks but I don't mind changing schools anyway

ReputationRep:
    spanish latin french

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.