The Student Room Group

louie simmons gives interesting counter argument to narrow stance squats for athletes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RME11
Say what you want about LS but his training methods are legit and he is easily one of the best strength coaches of all time - Westside barbell's lifters are all in the 2000lb club as a minimum to be invited to train there as well as the greatest legit total of all time (3005lbs) - has trained numerous top athletes as well as powerlifters. LS has pioneered powerlifting training at the elite level, and that can not be argued.

The problem is with LS - his advice and coaching is tailored to those in the elite powerlifter/athlete ranks - it doesn't mean much to the average guy in the gym (which is what most of TSR is), which is why the average gym goer has no business telling a cited expert in the field of strength and conditioning that his training methods are whack.

So did Moe Robinson really win a gold medal in 400m?
Original post by SmashConcept
So did Moe Robinson really win a gold medal in 400m?

You may be able to discredit the man, but not his training methods.
Original post by RME11
You may be able to discredit the man, but not his training methods.

If his training methods are so great why is one of the athletes he trained imaginary?
Problem with LS is that his famed lifters lift in multi ply federations meaning the 3000lb totals of someone like Dave Hoff are BS compared to RAW totals. Add into the mix that he advocates year round use of PEDs and the achievements of his lifters become somewhat less remarkable. For instance, even with a deadlift suit Dave Hoff struggles to lift 820lb.

I kind of think from my experience as long as you train hard enough and with exercises reasonably tailored to your body, there is no magic training regime.
And I mean, if the only people you allow to lift in your gym already have 2000 lb totals then you don't really get to take credit for building their 2000 lb totals.
2000lb multi ply totals aren't that impressive imho.
I can't really be arsed to get into any kind of argument over what is and isn't impressive, but basically yeah.

And I've probably use more WSB type stuff in my training than almost anyone here. Everyone knows by now that it isn't magic.
I can't really be arsed to get into any kind of argument over what is and isn't impressive, but basically yeah.

And I've probably use more WSB type stuff in my training than almost anyone here. Everyone knows by now that it isn't magic.

Year round growth hormone and steroid cycles? 😉
Original post by CharlieGEM
Year round growth hormone and steroid cycles? 😉

Actually belt squats and reverse hypers, but they're basically the same thing as what you said so yeah.
Actually belt squats and reverse hypers, but they're basically the same thing as what you said so yeah.

Whatever works for you 😉

LOL its so true. We just need to recruit a bunch of other fat guys and acquire some multiply.
Original post by redbuthotter
LOL its so true. We just need to recruit a bunch of other fat guys and acquire some multiply.

I have an Inzer Phenom at the bottom of one of my drawers.

Quick Reply

Latest