Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So at the moment, I'm in year 12 taking history, french and philosophy pre-u, politics a-level and the EPQ. My main problem is that i hate french and am really quite awful at it. I feel like i could improve within a year but also that I don't want to spend so much time on a subject that i don't really care about and that i don't want to do at uni. My dilemma is that I'm worried this might hurt my uni/job prospects since i believe a language is quite a good skill to have. this whole ordeal is really confusing me so any help would be much appreciated, thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodaa123)
    So at the moment, I'm in year 12 taking history, french and philosophy pre-u, politics a-level and the EPQ. My main problem is that i hate french and am really quite awful at it. I feel like i could improve within a year but also that I don't want to spend so much time on a subject that i don't really care about and that i don't want to do at uni. My dilemma is that I'm worried this might hurt my uni/job prospects since i believe a language is quite a good skill to have. this whole ordeal is really confusing me so any help would be much appreciated, thank you!
    Hey, I do French Pre-U (had my first exam for it today actually!), and it is definitely possible to improve drastically within a year, but you're right- it takes a fair bit of time. The main reason that I spent so much time on French in my first year is possibly because I was so bad at it to start with, but it also depends on your teacher and the sort of school you go to- if most people end up with the top grades, then perhaps there's less to worry about? It will definitely not hurt your uni/job prospects to not have a language a-level though, this shouldn't be the reason for keeping it. You can always pick up the language again or continue to learn it without formal assessment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.