Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Top medical schools in your opinion - other than Ox-bridge, London/Scottish unis. Watch

ReputationRep:
    ^^^

EDIT: Please answer the question instead of giving the obvious answers.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter where you study medicine unless you want to work privately, I don't think. Even in that case it bares no resemblance. As all medical schools are difficult places to graduate and enter from and Medicine is a difficult course there is no bad medical school.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    speaking of med schools, has buckingham gotten accreditation yet? I read on here about some people getting places there but when I was in sixth form in 2009, it wasnt accredited (in fact peninsula had just gotten accreditation)

ReputationRep:
    All medical schools are very good and extremely difficult to get into. But to answer your question I would say it's factors like the teaching style, patient contact etc that may give someone a preference of one med school over another.

Cardiff is a very good medical school and the new course structure makes it stand out imo.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tutorscience)
    ^^^

EDIT: Please answer the question instead of giving the obvious answers.
    The one you get in to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    Birmingham
    May I know the reasons?

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    I would say Cardiff just because they're ranked well lmao #shallow

But really I just came in to agree that Oxbridge, London and Scotland take up pretty much the top 10 medical schools. imo, ofc.

ReputationRep:
    It's totally subjective - different people suit different courses, and they all have to meet the GMC's standards, so there aren't any "bad" medical schools, but I'm sure you've probably heard that already.

There are more objective ways than league tables to look at things though, for example check out this recent report by the GMC: http://www.gmc-uk.org/SoMEP_chapter_3.pdf_58053779.pdf

It's called "Preparing doctors through medical education and training", and it basically presents the findings of surveys of junior doctors, finding out how well their university prepared them for being a foundation doctor. The top university in terms of "I was adequately prepared for my first foundation post" was UEA (woohoo!) with 85% agreeing. The lowest scorer was actually Cambridge with 60%. They also asked "The skills I learned at medical school set me up well for working as a foundation doctor", with UEA again coming top with 97% agreeing, and Cambridge and Imperial joint bottom with 62%. Remember Oxbridge and London definitely does not necessarily equate to a better course!

https://reports.gmc-uk.org/views/Med...o&%3Aembed=y#7 This is an interesting tool too, looking at foundation doctors getting onto their specialty training. The top three universities for this are Keele, Leicester and UEA. You can compare different outcomes here: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/25496.asp

It's an interesting read, and arguably a much more objective measure of how "good" a medical school actually is than the league tables!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    Cardiff is a very good medical school and the new course structure makes it stand out imo.
    (Original post by futuremedic19's signature)
    1st Year Medical Student at Cardiff
    Not sure if done deliberately, but I think the juxtaposed statements from futuremedic above tells you everything you need to know OP

(Original post by Cam,)
    There are more objective ways than league tables to look at things though, for example check out this recent report by the GMC: http://www.gmc-uk.org/SoMEP_chapter_3.pdf_58053779.pdf
    Excellent links.

There are some other comparisons too. The complete page is here, with reports on exam results, more data on the preparation surveys amongst others.

Definitely better than league tables (who frequently use measures like employment heavily when that works completely differently in medicine), but not infallible.

(Original post by Cam,)
    https://reports.gmc-uk.org/views/Med...o&%3Aembed=y#7 This is an interesting tool too, looking at foundation doctors getting onto their specialty training. The top three universities for this are Keele, Leicester and UEA. You can compare different outcomes here: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/25496.asp
    That's the proportion that applied to training, not got in as you imply, but yeah sure. The equivalent list for received an offer is Wales, Oxford, Birmingham, then Leeds, Newcastle.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.