Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    I noticed some people having coughing fits but I doubt you were the only one!

My most nightmarish exams were physiology. I was placed next to a big door in the Corn Exchange and all I could hear were cars whizzing by every couple of seconds, with intermittent tourists for some variety. Aaargh!
    Nah, I was definitely one of them. I was in the corn exchange for the two Physiology papers on the Thursday afternoon, possibly one of the worst exams I've ever taken (although actually didn't do that badly, but I was practically suicidal afterwards ). I was right at the back though, so didn't hear cars or anything. I just remember it was the one set of exams I forgot to bring my water bottle to, so I was dying of thirst but couldn't bring myself to make that huge long walk past everyone out to the water cooler.

ReputationRep:
    I brought a water bottle to the steeple chase... best decision I ever made

ReputationRep:
    The physiology essays were awful imo. I hadn't had the chance to read renal as recently as I would have liked so I was reluctant to write any essay specifically on renal physiology... and ended up writing about that weird question on drinking fresh water vs salt water. Actually, it wasn't so weird, come to think of it, but my answer definitely was! :0 Just a rambling discourse... and just as I came to finish the essay it occurred to me I might have got the whole thing the wrong way round!! But I decided to just not think about it afterwards...

ReputationRep:
    always interesting to hear (read) medics bantering... can i come and play too???

BTW, Helenia, did you get your breakdown via email or by post? (i know no one from my college has gotten theirs yet... and i'm wondering whether to blame our DoS or the postal service, or hermes...)

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why not

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't got my breakdown... grr

ReputationRep:
    that salt vs. fresh water question, i just looked at it, went wtf?, and promptly decided to do something else. thank goodness i had done enough revision to blag my way through another 2 questions - the renal one and the blood flow one.

personally, i was most put off by my biochem essay... the one about the rabbit. i started writing it, and ran out of steam/information after about 2 sides. to complicate things, i knew beforehand that that essay would be my weakest, so i left it to the last to do, and had about 35 mins to do it from start to end, and after 2 sides, there was about 15 mins left! thank goodness it is all over now.

and no, i didn't notice anyone making odd noises at any point in time. but then again, i'm quite infamous for tunnel vision when i'm concentrating, so...

but i think i irritated the people around me quite a bit for papers 1 and 2 of each subject... finished early and started fidgeting... twirling a pen, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Finishing early and fidgeting is fine. What annoyed me was when people were planning for the essay questions in the second Anatomy paper during the first paper! Of course, the 80 year old invigilator was never going to notice. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I personally think that gave them quite an advantage. This partly irks me because I question whether I should have done the same...

Speaking of invigilators.... man they were a strange bunch!! Apparently, speaking english wasn't highest on the list of priorities of whoever chose them!

ReputationRep:
    The physiology essays were awful imo. I hadn't had the chance to read renal as recently as I would have liked so I was reluctant to write any essay specifically on renal physiology... and ended up writing about that weird question on drinking fresh water vs salt water. Actually, it wasn't so weird, come to think of it, but my answer definitely was! :0 Just a rambling discourse... and just as I came to finish the essay it occurred to me I might have got the whole thing the wrong way round!! But I decided to just not think about it afterwards...
    Oooh, I did that one, and I did get it the wrong way round but didn't seem to matter too much, I still did better on those essays than on my MIMS ones, which at the time I was quite pleased with. I made the mistake of checking in my notes, and when I realised I'd been wrong I was in a bit of a tizz

And I noticed people planning their anatomy essays at the end of the MCQs. I thought that was very naughty. :eek: I don't think I could have dealt with a bottle of water in the steeplechase (vodka, maybe ) - drinking stuff in the DR is just not an idea that appeals. Has anyone ever had chewing gum in their mouth during dissection?

KHL - I got mine by e-mail from my DoS. Maybe yours just hasn't got round to it yet.

ReputationRep:
    Since our DoS seems to change every 10 mins, I'm not surprised I haven't heard yet...

ReputationRep:
    Since our DoS seems to change every 10 mins, I'm not surprised I haven't heard yet...
    Why do they keep changing? :confused:

I really sort of hope our DoS doesn't supervise us again this year.

ReputationRep:
    Our normal DoS has been on sabbatical but is returning next year. He interviewd me and seems like a really cool guy, but this year it changed each term. We hardly heard a peep from our DoS.

It's probably best this way, since our DoS is a 1B supervisor anyway.

Having your DoS supervise you can be a little iffy. It so happened I got on well with my DoS/supervisor this year, but one of my other supervisors really had a problem with me and I can only imagine if he had been my DoS!!

ReputationRep:
    Our normal DoS has been on sabbatical but is returning next year. He interviewd me and seems like a really cool guy, but this year it changed each term. We hardly heard a peep from our DoS.

It's probably best this way, since our DoS is a 1B supervisor anyway.

Having your DoS supervise you can be a little iffy. It so happened I got on well with my DoS/supervisor this year, but one of my other supervisors really had a problem with me and I can only imagine if he had been my DoS!!
    I got on OK with my DoS, although I didn't appreciate him telling me he thought I should step down if I missed another week of lectures when I had GF. He started to annoy me in exam term though, because he has an annoying habit of drifting off topic, and/or making sweeping generalisations that I didn't agree with. I don't know if I would want to put up with another year of it.

ReputationRep:
    * shiny thinks "why are there are so many Cambridge medics on these forums?" :confused: *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    * shiny thinks "why are there are so many Cambridge medics on these forums?" :confused: *
    People keep saying that. Are there really so many or are we just loud and obnoxious?

ReputationRep:
    People keep saying that. Are there really so many or are we just loud and obnoxious?
    There are quite a few actually. Surprising very few engineers or natsci's even though we are quite numerous in the real world! Clearly medics are total slackers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    There are quite a few actually. Surprising very few engineers or natsci's even though we are quite numerous in the real world! Clearly medics are total slackers
    I thought UKL was the real world?

ReputationRep:
    I thought UKL was the real world?
    Not until you become a subscriber. Then UK-L does become the real world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    It's the holidays :rolleyes:

Though maybe if I'd sacrificed a little of my post count on here in exam term, I might have done a little better. It's a bit scary though, especially when I know who people are, and I can't help wondering if they know who I am

ReputationRep:
    Gahhhggghhh! Tab domination :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.