The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
sbailey
Well, if you really want to drink out of our 100 year old leg prosthesis you're welcome to it...

Plus, it's not really cliquey since we didn't have any entrance requirements apart from being in our college, which make sense since we organise formals with other college drinking societies :tongue:

I think I'll pass *why isn't there a vomiting smiley on here?*

And yes, that would make sense. Haven't done any formal swaps in ages, just been humiliating myself at Peterhouse occasionally!
Reply 81
Helenia
Haven't done any formal swaps in ages, just been humiliating myself at Peterhouse occasionally!

Do they all think you're a student there too? :tongue:
Helenia
I think I'll pass *why isn't there a vomiting smiley on here?*

And yes, that would make sense. Haven't done any formal swaps in ages, just been humiliating myself at Peterhouse occasionally!
Peterhouse - That's were my mate the little coxy from Bedford MODERN goes isn't it?. :tongue:
Reply 83
sbailey
Do they all think you're a student there too? :tongue:

No, they manage to remember where I'm from (although I have on at least 2 occasions been introduced to their friends as "Clare from Helen" :rolleyes: ). But some people have seen me with them (I do spend quite a bit of time with their medics) and then when they finally meet me they say "Oh yeah, you're at Peterhouse, aren't you?" :eek:

Baz, yes.
Reply 84
hmm... it does seem as if there medics are overrepresented here... interesting.

getting wasted after exams isn't all that uncommon. after we finished, we were all too tired to go out, so we just sat on the croquet lawn outside my house and started hitting the alcohol. apparently quite a few people got rather drunk, myself included (i don't actually remember much from that night). apparently i went through half a litre of vodka, half a bottle of pimms and a few shots of rum and tequila by myself.

i maintain that i would never be capable of such stupidity. :biggrin:

ahh... helenia, you really should give rowing a go. after all, ~2000 other people involved in the sport in cambridge can't ALL be wrong, can they? (about 10 people per crew, cox and coach included, and about 11 divisions of 18 boats, plus a few that did not get on, in Mays...)

sbailey, anish did not seem that drunk when he came around to harvey court with a couple of our medics... but then again, i was well on the way to my final descent to grogginess by then... (maybe it wasn't anish... :confused: )
Reply 85
oh, and if it interests you (both helenia and sbailey), you are both very welcome to partake in the torture the Caius cooks put us all through daily...

come for formal or something, if you want. i know you know someone from Caius, helenia... she told me who you were without actually knowing that she was telling me... (how sneaky of me :biggrin: ) i haven't quite figured out who sbailey is in real life, but i'm always up for meeting people outside of college.

edit: okay, now that i've read it, it seems quite dodgy - i know who you are, helenia, because you turned up at harvey court or something, and my friend said you were a clare medic, and i asked her for your name (just a hunch), and she said "helen", and i made the connection when bells started going off in my head...
Reply 86
A formal sounds cool, KHL. I have gone once with some girls from Caius - my lasting memory was of a waiter trying to nick my dessert as I was half-way through eating it :tongue: Formals are always good though, and I'd like to get to know more of the medics from other colleges... Do you think Caius might be interested in a full-on swap wth the John's medics as well?

Believe me, Anish was very drunk at formal, and his excuse for LBG night at Cocos was the alcohol :tongue: He was really disappointed the next day that he hadn't gone to Cindy's, but he was almost on autopilot.. I'll be rooming with Anish next year, so I was only referring to his drunkenness in a friendly, not a disapproving, way :biggrin: He'll tell you I'm also quite fond of making the most of said beverage...

EDIT: Same invite goes out to Clare of course!

KHL
oh, and if it interests you (both helenia and sbailey), you are both very welcome to partake in the torture the Caius cooks put us all through daily...

come for formal or something, if you want. i know you know someone from Caius, helenia... she told me who you were without actually knowing that she was telling me... (how sneaky of me :biggrin: ) i haven't quite figured out who sbailey is in real life, but i'm always up for meeting people outside of college.

edit: okay, now that i've read it, it seems quite dodgy - i know who you are, helenia, because you turned up at harvey court or something, and my friend said you were a clare medic, and i asked her for your name (just a hunch), and she said "helen", and i made the connection when bells started going off in my head...
Reply 87
KHL

Oh, I know who you mean. :smile: It can't have been at Harvey Court though, cos I've never been there. I think it was probably at the PfP presentation thing. I'd missed my original slot (where I would have been with lots of nice Clare/Churchill medics :smile:) because of GF, and so I didn't know anyone except her in the new group I was dumped in. And yes, you were sat nearby - I can't remember if she actually introduced us, but I do know who you are.

Would love to come to Caius and/or John's formal at some point, two more off the list. :wink: I've heard about Caius formal though, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high. If you guys want to do a full on swap with Clare, I'm sure we might be able to arrange it - Mich term seems to be best as there are loads of enthusiastic freshers trying to do everything all at once!

Oh, I didn't get that drunk at the end of exams, just very pleasantly merry. There was a dangerous moment in our game of I Have Never, when my friend and I almost got in a bit of a war (she'd let out who I was after, I'd let out that she'd pulled one of the other medics, in secret) which would have ended in carnage, but I escaped it somehow (not entirely clear). I think Medsoc dinner and my birthday were much more memorable (or less, depending how you look at it) on my behalf :redface:
from looking at the uni websites i would say

manchester
imperial
newcastle and aberdeen,

buts thats just me

:tongue:
Reply 89
clairestar87
from looking at the uni websites i would say

manchester
imperial
newcastle and aberdeen,

buts thats just me

:tongue:

Manchester seemed really organised when I went on their open day too, which is always a plus. Newcastle never appealed to me as much, but maybe that's why I got rejected :tongue: (that and sitting through the interview like a tree stump)
Reply 90
sbailey
Manchester seemed really organised when I went on their open day too, which is always a plus. Newcastle never appealed to me as much, but maybe that's why I got rejected :tongue: (that and sitting through the interview like a tree stump)

Well at least they gave you an interview :mad:

Clairestar - you really cannot tell by league tables which are the best - the differences between them are absolutely minuscule, and anyone selecting purely on league tables will probably find themselves some nice rejections. The really important thing with Medicine is finding a place where you wouldn't mind living, and where the style of course suits you.
Reply 91
Helenia
Well at least they gave you an interview :mad:

Clairestar - you really cannot tell by league tables which are the best - the differences between them are absolutely minuscule, and anyone selecting purely on league tables will probably find themselves some nice rejections. The really important thing with Medicine is finding a place where you wouldn't mind living, and where the style of course suits you.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The courses really do vary a lot in their style of teaching, so it would be a mistake to not investigate it properly... And obviously you should ideally like where you're going to spend the next few years.
Reply 92
sbailey
Couldn't have said it better myself. The courses really do vary a lot in their style of teaching, so it would be a mistake to not investigate it properly... And obviously you should ideally like where you're going to spend the next few years.

Oooh, do you think they just don't like people going to Cambridge?

And yes, you should investigate it properly - I spent ages making shortlists and so on :rolleyes:
Reply 93
Helenia
Oooh, do you think they just don't like people going to Cambridge?

And yes, you should investigate it properly - I spent ages making shortlists and so on :rolleyes:

I don't know really. It's possible they can spot a Cambridge UCAS a mile off from the way it is written - that could sound arrogant if read the wrong way, but anyone who's already gone through the process knows how hard it is to please everyone with one UCAS form :rolleyes:

They may be trying to recruit more people from the surrounding area who will stick around afterwards. I do have a friend who got an offer from there and his grades were far from *amazing, but his mum is from Newcastle and I would be surprised if he didn't mention that in his interview. It's just a game of chance in the end, but I got my first choice :smile:

EDIT: *The guy's A level grades were good, I meant the GCSEs weren't as high as they could have been... I suppose you could argue they are superceded by A levels but I personally would still expect them to play a part in the selection process given the sea of A level A's these poor admissions people must be bombarded with.
Reply 94
i'd say screw the lists and all, and just look through all the available information, sleep over it (for a few nights if need be), take a deep breath, hold it, and fill out the form before taking another.

seriously speaking, trust your gut feeling. it's working overtime to help you. end of the day, no matter where you end up, if you tell yourself you are happy where you are, you will BE happy. i've had places where i told myself i wasn't happy to be at before, and it just made life worse, every little thing that happened. now at cambridge, i came determined to start afresh, and i have, and i'm having the time of my life, cheesy as it may sound.

and if you're really adventurous, and looking to save a little bit of money, do what i did - my UCAS form had 1 single entry in it. death or glory all the way!

Helenia - and now that you mentioned it, yeah, i think it was PfP. those debriefing sessions are soooo.... boring!!! (i really liked the patient contact sessions, just not the other sessions before and after those.) and yeah, why not... i'll check out if we can do a full on swap. i know that quite a few of the clare and caius medics know each other, so it'd be fun. oh, about caius formal, the food's not too bad - it's nutritious, but not particularly tasty. what's cool about it though, i've realized, is that there is VERY little restrictions in the way of alcohol limits, "no pennying" crap enforced by surly porters/bouncers, etc... FREE FOR ALL!!! (we even have a website detailing unofficial pennying rules at caius - it's on the web somewhere, google it if you're interested, but caians reserve the right to change rules as necessary to get our victims as drunk as possible.)

steve - same, i think there are a few tables which have caians+johnians in them, and so it'd be fun too! there are so many of us, i hope i can convince at least some to come to a formal... i'm also trying to arrange one with another friend at newnham... so it might get a bit busy, but will definitely try. (this is on top of expected boatie formals which you must be quite familiar with.)
Reply 95
KHL
i'd say screw the lists and all, and just look through all the available information, sleep over it (for a few nights if need be), take a deep breath, hold it, and fill out the form before taking another.

seriously speaking, trust your gut feeling. it's working overtime to help you. end of the day, no matter where you end up, if you tell yourself you are happy where you are, you will BE happy. i've had places where i told myself i wasn't happy to be at before, and it just made life worse, every little thing that happened. now at cambridge, i came determined to start afresh, and i have, and i'm having the time of my life, cheesy as it may sound.

and if you're really adventurous, and looking to save a little bit of money, do what i did - my UCAS form had 1 single entry in it. death or glory all the way!

Helenia - and now that you mentioned it, yeah, i think it was PfP. those debriefing sessions are soooo.... boring!!! (i really liked the patient contact sessions, just not the other sessions before and after those.) and yeah, why not... i'll check out if we can do a full on swap. i know that quite a few of the clare and caius medics know each other, so it'd be fun. oh, about caius formal, the food's not too bad - it's nutritious, but not particularly tasty. what's cool about it though, i've realized, is that there is VERY little restrictions in the way of alcohol limits, "no pennying" crap enforced by surly porters/bouncers, etc... FREE FOR ALL!!! (we even have a website detailing unofficial pennying rules at caius - it's on the web somewhere, google it if you're interested, but caians reserve the right to change rules as necessary to get our victims as drunk as possible.)

steve - same, i think there are a few tables which have caians+johnians in them, and so it'd be fun too! there are so many of us, i hope i can convince at least some to come to a formal... i'm also trying to arrange one with another friend at newnham... so it might get a bit busy, but will definitely try. (this is on top of expected boatie formals which you must be quite familiar with.)

I can count the number of boatie formals I've been to on one hand... a bit disappointing really.
Reply 96
same here, but i get the impression the senior squad get a lot more action than the novices/lower boats...
Reply 97
KHL
same here, but i get the impression the senior squad get a lot more action than the novices/lower boats...

I get the impression our senior squad are too boring.
Reply 98
it only takes one legendary person to make the formalling action come alive, and we have a couple of those, but one in particular... so yeah, apparently our senior mens' squad had something like a formal every day, maybe alternate days, during michaelmas. totally insane.
Reply 99
KHL
it only takes one legendary person to make the formalling action come alive, and we have a couple of those, but one in particular... so yeah, apparently our senior mens' squad had something like a formal every day, maybe alternate days, during michaelmas. totally insane.

Wow, now that's the way to do it! I think our (LMBC III) formals were all pretty lively, particularly with Girton, although we just didn't arrange enough.

Latest