Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an OCD skin picking disorder, its difficult but I want to try and stop and clear my scars. Any effective ways? Currently using bio oil but are there any lightening creams or remedies that have worked with you for any kinds of scars whether it was acne or harm etc..?

(Original post by gro)
    I have an OCD skin picking disorder, its difficult but I want to try and stop and clear my scars. Any effective ways? Currently using bio oil but are there any lightening creams or remedies that have worked with you for any kinds of scars whether it was acne or harm etc..?
    Go somewhere like boots and ask at the pharmacy part. There are various creams and gels designed for scar reduction. They are more effective with newer scars and usually take a couple of months to show results so don't expect miracles. Anticeptic creams and other "woulnd care" things should also help reduce the chances of bad scaring on new sites.

Other home remedies include bio oil (but you knew that), vitamin E cream, cocoa butter, aloe vera, lemon juice and a few more. I'm not sure how effective any of them are but bio oil and VitE are the ones I hear about the most.

Good luck getting on top of things. It's tough work and will take time but you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    have you asked a dermatologist?

btw do you know if bio-oil works for acne scarring???
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by gro)
    (Original post by sfaraj)

Sudocrem seems to have a good degree of success with acne scarring. I'd recommend first consulting with a doctor about treatments that are best for you, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Sudocrem seems to have a good degree of success with acne scarring. I'd recommend first consulting with a doctor about treatments that are best for you, though.
    i have, and i have to wait 4 months before i could possibly starts roacctuane if my acne hasn't improved but the problem is it has gelatin which i cant take :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by gro)
    Foundation
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i have, and i have to wait 4 months before i could possibly starts roacctuane if my acne hasn't improved but the problem is it has gelatin which i cant take :/
    I'm afraid I've never had acne (or at least to a recurring extent that needed treatment), so I can't profess to know a lot. But I know from various accounts (mostly my friends, some blogs, etcetera) that Sudocrem is a good remedy. Have you tried it? Only issue is that it may irritate and you'll need to ask your doctor if it is a suitable treatment for you.
    Have you also tried any other lifestyle changes to alleviate the acne?

ReputationRep:

I'll look into it, and apparently thats not a good idea for acne because bio oil is very oilly and may make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Go somewhere like boots and ask at the pharmacy part. There are various creams and gels designed for scar reduction. They are more effective with newer scars and usually take a couple of months to show results so don't expect miracles. Anticeptic creams and other "woulnd care" things should also help reduce the chances of bad scaring on new sites.

Other home remedies include bio oil (but you knew that), vitamin E cream, cocoa butter, aloe vera, lemon juice and a few more. I'm not sure how effective any of them are but bio oil and VitE are the ones I hear about the most.

Good luck getting on top of things. It's tough work and will take time but you can do it.
    Thanks for the help, i will speak to someone next time Im near a boots

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.