The Student Room Group

Magnetic field lines in a dynamical system?

The question is more about setting up the dynamical system than any of the Physics behind magnetic fields and stuff.

I get B=(x2+y2+1,2xy,0)T \mathbf{B} = (-x^2 + y^2 + 1, 2xy, 0)^T and so dxds×B=(0,0,ByxsBxys)T \frac{d\mathbf{x}}{ds} \times \mathbf{B} = (0,0, B_yx_s - B_xy_s)^T where Bx,By B_x,B_y are the x,y components of B \mathbf{B}, and xs=dxds x_s = \frac{dx}{ds} .

Obviously from there I get that Byxs=BxysB_yx_s = B_xy_s . But from there I can't find anything that implies that xs=Bx,  ys=By x_s = B_x, \; y_s = B_y.
Original post by TheFOMaster

The question is more about setting up the dynamical system than any of the Physics behind magnetic fields and stuff.

I get B=(x2+y2+1,2xy,0)T \mathbf{B} = (-x^2 + y^2 + 1, 2xy, 0)^T and so dxds×B=(0,0,ByxsBxys)T \frac{d\mathbf{x}}{ds} \times \mathbf{B} = (0,0, B_yx_s - B_xy_s)^T where Bx,By B_x,B_y are the x,y components of B \mathbf{B}, and xs=dxds x_s = \frac{dx}{ds} .

Obviously from there I get that Byxs=BxysB_yx_s = B_xy_s . But from there I can't find anything that implies that xs=Bx,  ys=By x_s = B_x, \; y_s = B_y.

I think you're making it too complicated for yourself. By the formula for curl, you show that

Bx=1+(y2x2) \displaystyle B_x = 1 + (y^2 - x^2)

and

By=2xy \displaystyle B_y = 2 x y

and that is pretty much it. Bx,By B_x, B_y are components of a vector "attached" at (x,y) (x, y) and integral curves of that vector field are precisely the field lines of B.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest