Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sore/itchy/generally weird vagina before periods? watch

Basically, maybe a week or more before my period starts, I have something akin to a vaginal infection. It smells pretty normal, maybe a bit sour. Discharge is fairly normal but the vagina itself tends to be very sore and itchy, burns when I pee and some parts feel like it's been cut even though it hasn't. It always clears up immediately after the period, though... Not sure if I ought to be worried or not.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, maybe a week or more before my period starts, I have something akin to a vaginal infection. It smells pretty normal, maybe a bit sour. Discharge is fairly normal but the vagina itself tends to be very sore and itchy, burns when I pee and some parts feel like it's been cut even though it hasn't. It always clears up immediately after the period, though... Not sure if I ought to be worried or not.
    There are many causes of burning and itchiness, since this is happening around the time of your period it's possibly due to hormone fluctuations and if so can likely be resolved with a contraceptive pill. Things like yeast infections and herpes can get worse around the time of your period too.

Any sort of discomfort/odour is worth getting checked out by your GP, bottom line is that you shouldn't have to deal with that every month and that isn't a normal part of having a period.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It is possible to get sensitivity, soreness and/ or itching with periods, but it sounds like for you it is both a significant and persistent irritation which is less normal and probably a sign of something. I don't know personally what that something could be, but a doc will so it's worth a trip to stop it bothering you and just make sure it's all okay.
    I wouldn't think it's much to worry about since it is only when you get periods and clears up after. I do think it's worth getting checked by a doc though cos it isn't exactly normal so should have a cause and hopefuly a simple solution.Generally I tend to think that anything abnormal should be checked just to be safe and especially if it somethnig that bothers you since a trip to the doc may get rid of that annoyance.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.