Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel AVCE ICT watch

Announcements

Has anyone else in this group have students who sat the January unit 23 operating systems exam? Our
    results are dreadful and we are anxiously waiting for some of the scripts to see why.

I do not know if this is the right group to post this query. If there is a preferred one could
    someone please tell me.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    [q1]> Has anyone else in this group have students who sat the January unit 23 operating systems exam?[/q1]
    [q1]> Our results are dreadful and we are anxiously waiting for some of the scripts to see why.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

I sent students through the exam last year and had similar experiences. We are not including that
    option this year because the marking scheme was so flawed. For example when marking the diagram and
    description of the components of a microprocessor (Control Unit, Accumulation Unit etc.) they used
    non-standard terms for them and so failed people on those questions if they used the RIGHT answers.
    This also happens in the Systems Analysis unit leading many in our College to push for a switch to
    another qualification altogether.

--

We came to a similar conclusion and will also be offering BTEC next September - still Edexcel
    though. What college are you at? Ours is St Austell.

"Martin P Matthews" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Has anyone else in this group have students who sat the January unit 23 operating systems exam?[/q2]
    [q2]> > Our results are dreadful and we are anxiously waiting for some of the scripts to see why.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I sent students through the exam last year and had similar experiences. We are not including that[/q1]
    [q1]> option this year because the marking scheme was so flawed. For example when marking the diagram[/q1]
    [q1]> and description of the components of a microprocessor (Control Unit, Accumulation Unit etc.) they[/q1]
    [q1]> used non-standard terms for them and so failed people on those questions if they used the RIGHT[/q1]
    [q1]> answers. This also happens in the Systems Analysis unit leading many in our College to push for a[/q1]
    [q1]> switch to another qualification altogether.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]
    [q1]> ____________________________[/q1]
    [q1]> Martin Matthews, Cornwall UK[/q1]

ReputationRep:
    i think i got bout 54 on that exam, redoin it though in june...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    [q1]> We came to a similar conclusion and will also be offering BTEC next September - still Edexcel[/q1]
    [q1]> though. What college are you at? Ours is St Austell.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

Sorry for the delay I had a hard disk crash.

I'm at the College of Falmouth so we're almost related:-)

I looked at the OND but I didn't like the choice of units and the assessment criteria now that they
    have been rewritten seem too similar to the AVCE. We'll stay with the devil we know for at least
    another year but I'd be very interested to hear how it goes for you with the BTEC.

i'm a current student and i have an exam today.. on this subject.. i'm totally ****ed cuz i'm so confused with what u said before about using the correct terms to score better makes.. Today is Tuesday 11 June 2002, the time is 12:14 and the exam is at 2:00pm ... Wish me Lucky and help me out ! I need it! i think it's a lil too late now! ... anyway I'm off to study!

hey everybody,

ive just finished the Operating Systems and Systems Architecture external test january 2003.

Im a bit disappointed with my results as iv only scored 23, anyone else out there do any better?

Iceze

Originally posted by Bob Sarah
    Has anyone else in this group have students who sat the January unit 23 operating systems exam? Our
    results are dreadful and we are anxiously waiting for some of the scripts to see why.

I do not know if this is the right group to post this query. If there is a preferred one could
    someone please tell me.
    Hi i have sat that exam too and i just passed with one mark above the pass mark i was the only one to pass out of the whole year.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.