Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is , i know that there is an on campus club and bar but how is the actual town? does anyone go to london on friday nights or any otehr day or night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexazver203)
    How is , i know that there is an on campus club and bar but how is the actual town? does anyone go to london on friday nights or any otehr day or night?

I think its quite good cos the club on campus seemed proper class and I hear there are loadsa river side bars and clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, been there and know someone there who sais that the nightlife is pretty good on campus as there is always something going on. In terms of the town itself, there are approximately five main clubs which range in style, but there are **** loads of bars including most of the usual witherspoons bars! Also, there are bars by the riverside which apparently prove to be popular particularly in the summer months where it is nice and hot and people relax by the river and even go skinnydipping if thats your scene!!!

ReputationRep:
    lol is skinnydipping your scene?!!!

ReputationRep:
    depends with whom and where

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexazver203)
    I studied at Rading for four years and have to say there was no end to the social opportunities. Whilst there was something going on on campus most night the town during the week is very popular with students. The Fez Club (as it was called then - don't know if it's changed now) played old school cheese on tuesdays for Whistle Pop with 50p shots on the hour. The After Dark club is excellent and well worth a visit. They do a brilliant alternative night and an even better 80s night, it's a tiny dive but it's always packed any you are going to have a good night there.

In your first year every club in town has offers on to try and lure the students in, particularly in Freshers week.

I found that we didn't really go in to town at the weekend because the 'townies' are not that keen on students and can often be unpleasant unless you go to a student bar.

Depending on your group of friends you might end up going to London at the weekend. I always found campus quite quiet at weekends although I never went clubbing in London because I couldn't afford it, if I was going in it was to go to the British Library or the theatre. Even so, I did know people who would go in for special occassions - some of my mates went to the Electric Ballroom in Camden for a mates birthday.

So really, it depends on you and the circle of friends you have. Personally, I found enough in Reading to occupy my time and wallet.

ReputationRep:
    i doubt you'd go skinny dipping in the river...its very murky, fenced off and more like a canal! But the riverside area is very nice. The Oracle centre is very good for shopping, loads of good shops. Also cinema, bars, pubs etc.

ReputationRep:
    what about alternative places? that play indie and rock etc. i heard of the "purple turtle" pub/club but of nothing else...anyone know anything?

oh do they get many good bands at reading? or is it a case of going to london to see some?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    what about alternative places? that play indie and rock etc. i heard of the "purple turtle" pub/club but of nothing else...anyone know anything?

oh do they get many good bands at reading? or is it a case of going to london to see some?
    OK 3 main places for Rock Scene

Monday Night:

1. Start at Local Pub get quick drink for 30 min to 60 mins
    2. Head to purple Turtle (like a rock music bar... no dancind etc) stay there until 10:50 ish
    3. 3 doors down from Purple Turtle is The Fez Club... Rock Night is monday night. Alcohol is cheap people are relatively friendly.. Prepare to mosh .

Friday Night:

1. see mon
    2. see mon
    3. Afterdark.

ReputationRep:
    Afterdark? Oh dear, certainly not my sort of place! Readings pubs seem great at first, but they do get proper dull after a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Afterdark? Oh dear, certainly not my sort of place! Readings pubs seem great at first, but they do get proper dull after a while
    Well alright thats why its my second choice

But people with alternative taste also have alternative erm standards lol

But u are right it is a bit of a dive tbh.

I just thougt of another one... i think on Thursdays Ponanas is also quite good although the alcohol is a little expensive... not as exensive as brannigans tho (puh never go there again).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Well alright thats why its my second choice

But people with alternative taste also have alternative erm standards lol

But u are right it is a bit of a dive tbh.

I just thougt of another one... i think on Thursdays Ponanas is also quite good although the alcohol is a little expensive... not as exensive as brannigans tho (puh never go there again).
    Brannigans is cheap on a monday night (student night). Meh, I dunno, I always get blokes to buy my drinks anyway! Oh and I don't go to Reading uni, I just live here (I'm 17, bout to go into year 13) but I've been going pubbing in Reading since I was 14.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Brannigans is cheap on a monday night (student night). Meh, I dunno, I always get blokes to buy my drinks anyway! Oh and I don't go to Reading uni, I just live here (I'm 17, bout to go into year 13) but I've been going pubbing in Reading since I was 14.
    Lol Yet another Underage drinker

Damn i feel old now :P

Im 21 heh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Lol Yet another Underage drinker

Damn i feel old now :P

Im 21 heh.
    Hehe. I'm 18 in 3 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess u dont look like ure avatar :P

Btw u doing A-Levels or just abusing all the home sick freshers by getting them to buy u drinks? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Let me guess u dont look like ure avatar :P

Btw u doing A-Levels or just abusing all the home sick freshers by getting them to buy u drinks? :P
    Nah, here's a pic of me! And I'm doing A levels and abusing the home sick freshers

ReputationRep:
    Lol i can see why they get abused lol

Poor freshers... dont know what hit them

this is Me and my robot :P

Im the guy playing with the robot. I look younger than i am unfortunately :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Lol i can see why they get abused lol
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    Btw nice phone rofl .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Btw nice phone rofl .
    Hehe it was a pic I took of myself in the mirror! My mate gave me a make over before the night out, and that was the before pic!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.