The Student Room Group

Unit 4 Physics Edexcel A2 and Edexcel IAL

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Can someone help me with this question from jan 2013 question 13 c2

Ive got A and C mixed around and i have no idea how what ive done is wrong, someone explain?image.jpg
Original post by AndyOC
Can someone help me with this question from jan 2013 question 13 c2

Ive got A and C mixed around and i have no idea how what ive done is wrong, someone explain?image.jpg

The centripetal force is the resultant force of the weight + contact (reaction) force, which causes the cabin to accelerate. It thus always acts towards the centre of the circle.
At A: Centripetal force = mg - r
The weight must be greater than the reaction force in order to provide a centripetal force, hence the reaction force is at a minimun.
At C: Centripetal force = r - mg
Here, the reaction force must be greater than the weight, hence the reaction force is at a maximum.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 202
Original post by candycake
The centripetal force is the resultant force of the weight + contact (reaction) force, which causes the cabin to accelerate. It thus always acts towards the centre of the circle.
At A: Centripetal force = mg - r
The weight must be greater than the reaction force in order to provide a centripetal force, hence the reaction force is at a minimun.
At C: Centripetal force = r - mg
Here, the reaction force must be greater than the weight, hence the reaction force is at a maximum.

Hope that helps :smile:

Brilliant thank you!:smile:
English lit - the course looks great and really versatile! Did you apply for maths?

I did apply for maths, for the same reasons that you chose English Lit :smile:
Sorry for asking so many questions. I've got two more more :biggrin:
1. I don't understand why the force on the rod acts upwards and not downwards.
2. Why do you need to add the mass of the stationary positron to find the total energy of the system? ie why is it 1.58+0.511+0.511 instead of just 1.58+0.511?
Reply 205
2.jpg
1.jpg
This is the reason why Physics A level is the biggest ******** & a scam.

Never in my physics class did we disect a cable to find more than one wire and never did anybody tell me anywhere, no revision guide or revision video, that cables have wire's going in different directions. That's almost half a grade in a question where you literally have to either have electrician experience or you get no marks!!!

**** edexcel!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by target21859
Sorry for asking so many questions. I've got two more more :biggrin:
1. I don't understand why the force on the rod acts upwards and not downwards.
2. Why do you need to add the mass of the stationary positron to find the total energy of the system? ie why is it 1.58+0.511+0.511 instead of just 1.58+0.511?

As far as I'm aware:
1) I think the force on the wire is up, but by N3 the force on the magnet is down.
2) You have to add the mass to calculate the total mass-energy since the energy provided is KE only
As far as I'm aware:
1) I think the force on the wire is up, but by N3 the force on the magnet is down.
2) You have to add the mass to calculate the total mass-energy since the energy provided is KE only

What do you mean by the force on the magnet is down?
I don't suppose anyone has a list of definitions (e.g. uniform electric field, magnetic field etc) they would mind sharing please? Usually the text books have glossaries but I can't find a list of definitions anywhere :frown:

Thanks, I would be so grateful for any help :smile:
Original post by target21859
What do you mean by the force on the magnet is down?

According to N3: If object A exerts a force on object B, then B exerts a force equal in size and opposite in direction on A.

Therefore, there is an equal and opposite force acting on the magnet (from the rod) which, in this case, acts downwards
Reply 210
Does anyone know how to derive I = (delta V / delta t ) x C
Hey, can anyone explain this to me? Apparently the answer is like a sin wave but with the two pulses separated by a small region at 0 V. I don't really get how it's that.
Capture.JPG
Original post by ayvaak
Does anyone know how to derive I = (delta V / delta t ) x C

Surely it's that Q = CV, so C*dV/dt is dQ/dt which is I?
Does anybody know wether the all answers should be to 3 sgf or does depend on the data ?? If so, Please elaborate. Thanks !!
Original post by omar5478
Does anybody know wether the all answers should be to 3 sgf or does depend on the data ?? If so, Please elaborate. Thanks !!

All answers can be up to one significant figure more than the data provided but cannot be less. I always do it to 3 s.f. just in case
Original post by Inges
2.jpg
1.jpg
This is the reason why Physics A level is the biggest ******** & a scam.

Never in my physics class did we disect a cable to find more than one wire and never did anybody tell me anywhere, no revision guide or revision video, that cables have wire's going in different directions. That's almost half a grade in a question where you literally have to either have electrician experience or you get no marks!!!

**** edexcel!

I think this relies on GCSE physics knowledge (remember the Earth wire, live wire and neutral wire?). It's a sh**** move because people definitely wouldn't remember that (I wouldn't have under exam conditions)
Reply 216
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
All answers can be up to one significant figure more than the data provided but cannot be less. I always do it to 3 s.f. just in case

Does anyone by chance know the difference between induced emf and induced current? Do they act in the same direction
Original post by ayvaak
Does anyone by chance know the difference between induced emf and induced current? Do they act in the same direction

The induced current will be in the same direction as the induced emf.
Original post by ayvaak

The induced e.m.f and the induced current do act in the same direction (because they both oppose the change in flux linkage that induces it) however a current will only flow if connected in a circuit
Reply 219
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
The induced e.m.f and the induced current do act in the same direction (because they both oppose the change in flux linkage that induces it) however a current will only flow if connected in a circuit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile: do you by any chance know why we dont times the answer by sin30?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending