Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I recently graduated (summer 2015) and am now working at a City investment firm, however am looking at applying for training contracts next recruiting cycle (so starting November 2016 to start TC Sep 2019/March 2020).

I feel that despite having very little legal experience (apart from one insight day at a MC law firm in my first year), I do have decent commercial experience from my current role and past internships, so even though the chances are against me, I'm determined to give it a shot.

Although I've researched seemingly extensively online, I am perplexed by one part of the applications process - namely the GDL; should I apply for the GDL and then apply for training contracts (or do both simultaneously?), or wait until I am offered a TC and then apply for the GDL? I appreciate this is probably a stupid question, but I really can't find a clear answer online (and a lot of the CABs stuff seems to be out of date, and firms say they'll pay for it, but they also say they have preferred providers, implying I should wait, but this is not 100% clear). As I'd be giving up a very well paid job, I'd just like to get all the facts before I make any commitments.

Thanks TSR (:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Apply as a non law grad and get them to pay. If you wnat to pay for the GDL yourself thats your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squires)
    Hi all,

I recently graduated (summer 2015) and am now working at a City investment firm, however am looking at applying for training contracts next recruiting cycle (so starting November 2016 to start TC Sep 2019/March 2020).

I feel that despite having very little legal experience (apart from one insight day at a MC law firm in my first year), I do have decent commercial experience from my current role and past internships, so even though the chances are against me, I'm determined to give it a shot.

Although I've researched seemingly extensively online, I am perplexed by one part of the applications process - namely the GDL; should I apply for the GDL and then apply for training contracts (or do both simultaneously?), or wait until I am offered a TC and then apply for the GDL? I appreciate this is probably a stupid question, but I really can't find a clear answer online (and a lot of the CABs stuff seems to be out of date, and firms say they'll pay for it, but they also say they have preferred providers, implying I should wait, but this is not 100% clear). As I'd be giving up a very well paid job, I'd just like to get all the facts before I make any commitments.

Thanks TSR (:
    My partner is a solicitor in a big London firm. Get a paralegal job and if you impress they may give you a TC. Not all firms do this so it is worth getting under the radar so to speak. My other half's firm do this - for obvious reasons I cannot tell you who he works for - but just get experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Apply as a non law grad and get them to pay. If you wnat to pay for the GDL yourself thats your choice.
    Thanks for your reply

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to do, as I really don't fancy forking over £10k in addition to the loss of earnings. Do I need to complete a GDL application before actually applying to law firms though?

I mean, from what I understand, applying for a GDL appears similar to applying to uni - you do a personal statement and put your top 3 options via CABs, hence I'm concerned that if I wait to be offered a TC (say if that happens in the spring/summer 2017), then if I haven't already applied for the GDL, I may not get a place (unsure how competitive places are, particularly at popular providers such as BPP).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No. get them to give you a TC and then take their direction. You should be applying when all the other non law grads apply.

If you go the paralegal route then beware it might work for some, but can be a graveyard for others. Where you paralegal helps. You sound like you have a pretty good job and will be getting relevant experience so that will work in your advantage. The GDL and LPC are just money. It doesnt imo matter much where you take them although the reason some firms have a preferred probider is they have a course tailored for their firm. Your task is to get them to offer you a tC first, everything else can be sorted out after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No. get them to give you a TC and then take their direction. You should be applying when all the other non law grads apply.

If you go the paralegal route then beware it might work for some, but can be a graveyard for others. Where you paralegal helps. You sound like you have a pretty good job and will be getting relevant experience so that will work in your advantage. The GDL and LPC are just money. It doesnt imo matter much where you take them although the reason some firms have a preferred probider is they have a course tailored for their firm. Your task is to get them to offer you a tC first, everything else can be sorted out after.
    Thanks - that really clears things up.

Thanks for the advice - yeah, I don't think I could do the paralegal route as that's too risky, and agree that the experience I have atm is to some extent relevant, even if not precisely so (and at the very least, hopefully the brand name helps). Plus it's not that I hate my current job at all - it's just that I've come to realise I see myself more as a lawyer than in finance long term.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Find out who your frims lawyers are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squires)
    Thanks for your reply

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to do, as I really don't fancy forking over £10k in addition to the loss of earnings. Do I need to complete a GDL application before actually applying to law firms though?

I mean, from what I understand, applying for a GDL appears similar to applying to uni - you do a personal statement and put your top 3 options via CABs, hence I'm concerned that if I wait to be offered a TC (say if that happens in the spring/summer 2017), then if I haven't already applied for the GDL, I may not get a place (unsure how competitive places are, particularly at popular providers such as BPP).
    No you don't have to complete a GDL application before applying to firms. You should understand the timeframes and deadlines though.

Some people secure places on the GDL very late - it is not a competitive process at all - all the institutions just want the fees.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.