Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you love someone you have never met? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Quite a query I have had for a while as you see stories of individuals never meeting and falling in love then they stay together or on the other hand they never become a thing. But is it really possible to fall in love with someone you have never met or only seen once?
    Basically with no use of phone calls or video chatting and maybe a photo or two.

Sorry if any of this is spelt wrong or has bad punctuation etc I am not very good with it. 😜😜

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not. But most of the time the other person aren't what they're like as they're online persona in terms of character

ReputationRep:
    As long as both people are interacting with each other in some way, I definitely think it's perfectly possible to have a connection which could be love, so yes imo.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have used to laugh at this, but love is a messed up thing. So, I guess it can.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so.
    People can fall in love by chatting online. If there's a connection of some form then I see no reason why not.

ReputationRep:
    Me personally no.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, although whether it is a healthy thing or not is a different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjasayshi)
    Quiet a query I have had for a while as you see stories of individuals never meeting and falling in love then they stay together or on the other hand they never become a thing. But is it really possible to fall in love with someone you have never met or only seen once?
    Basically with no use of phone calls or video chatting and maybe a photo or two.

Sorry if any of this is spelt wrong or has bad punctuation etc I am not very good with it. 😜😜
    Well there are some people you may feel a connection with like you just fit together and you get a good vibe from them but i do feel you don't know them well enough to say whether its love, you need to spend time getting to know someone and if you can accept their good and bad sides and feel comfortable with them then you can say you are in love.
    If i saw someones picture i would feel an attraction to them physically but i don't know what they are like in person whether we are good together so can't be in love.

I chatted online to someone once and got a good vibe from chatting to them however when i met them in person i felt no chemistry or any feelings for them.
    Also i have met people who i felt drawn to and felt a strong connection which at the time i would have felt loving feelings for them but would not say i was in love as i didn't know them at all.

Also if you met them once how do you know they weren't on good behaviour to make you think they are decent? you need to see them often to see if they are genuine.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think so.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Without meeting and seeing a person before, I can't fall in love. Love is a personal concern between two people, 'personal' in terms of relationship means to know each other. Without knowing a person, I can't feel something, not to mention love.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible. I think when we converse online we chat with the person and with our idea of that person. The combination of which we fall in love with. Sometimes it's that fantasy that's shattered when we meet in person and sometimes they really aren't what they said.

Ive had varying experiences with the online world. From Internet grooming through to meeting the love of my life. Some of my closest friends are people that I initially met online and felt a connection with. The first time I flew alone, I travelled to the other side of the world to meet a bunch of women I'd only conversed with online.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think you can: we have evolved to experience 'falling in love' when in physical proximity, as that has been the principal shared mode of existence for mankind, for the majority of human life to date.

However, this may alter in the future, with technological advances, as the illusion of proximity is replicated.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjasayshi)
    Quiet a query I have had for a while as you see stories of individuals never meeting and falling in love then they stay together or on the other hand they never become a thing. But is it really possible to fall in love with someone you have never met or only seen once?

Well love at first sight happens so why not.

When we chat online we are attracted to the messaging, things we say etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Of course you can fall in love without meeting especially now with the internet. I find it a little easier to meet people online.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think so. At least not true love.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can fall in love with your idea and your image of a person, having never met them, but it won't really be them.

ReputationRep:
    No, you need to have met the person irl at least once. Makes me when laugh when people get infatuated like crazy over someone they've never met on this site :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Love is the longing for the other half of ourselves we have lost :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Could we extend this idea to falling in love with somebody we've never spoken to, even online? If all it takes is building up a picture of what you think a person is like then why not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.