Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do a medical degree. I'm not sure where so I'd like some advice off people who have done medicine at a good university and why they liked it. Also I need some ideas as to what I can do this summer to help my personal statement look more interesting. Also I was planning on going to look at Oxford university but my GCSE grades are mostly A/s and A*/s but I' have one B. As well my school is doing a trip to Oxford but it clashes with a biology summer school that I would be doing at Leeds university where we carry out a Biology research project. However if I put on my personal statement I did a biology project at Leeds university will that only look good to Leeds and not other universities I might be applying to .

ReputationRep:
    The Biology summer school will look good on your personal statement regardless of which universities you apply to. I think even Oxford would find a research project more impressive/interesting than a trip to Oxford. It'll give you something to talk about other than the usual books/volunteering/work experience.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Natashab99x)
    I'd like to do a medical degree. I'm not sure where so I'd like some advice off people who have done medicine at a good university and why they liked it. Also I need some ideas as to what I can do this summer to help my personal statement look more interesting. Also I was planning on going to look at Oxford university but my GCSE grades are mostly A/s and A*/s but I' have one B. As well my school is doing a trip to Oxford but it clashes with a biology summer school that I would be doing at Leeds university where we carry out a Biology research project. However if I put on my personal statement I did a biology project at Leeds university will that only look good to Leeds and not other universities I might be applying to .
    Hi Natasha,

We've tried to briefly answer most of your questions below

Our doctors and med students here worked and study/studied at a huge variety of medical schools across the UK, like Queen's University Belfast, to St. George's University of London, Oxford, UCL and Imperial. They all have different opinions about them - mostly great! Things you need to think about when applying are stuff like, do you like PBL? Would you like to be in a major city? Do you like campus universities?

With regards to your GCSE grades, check out our free Medical School Comparison Tool. It pulls up all the entry criteria for all UK medical schools.

We also think that the biology project at Leeds will be more advantageous to you than an open day at Oxford. Plus, it will look good for all unis that you apply to, not just Leeds.

We hope the above helps,
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natashab99x)
    What year are you in? I'll assume you're in year 12, in which case:

The priority this summer would be arranging work experience in a hospital or GP surgery and arranging some volunteering in a care home/hospice/similar. The UCAS deadline for medicine is in October so it's very important to start arranging this asap if you haven't already, as placements fill up very quickly (many will have already gone). You will also have to start thinking about which entrance exams you might have to do and preparing for them as necessary.

The biology thing at Leeds sounds good, but it's not really a big deal whether you do or don't go. It's not really what medical schools are looking for in a personal statement. Same goes for visiting Oxford. If you do go to Leeds, the skills you'll hopefully gain from the project will be good whichever universities you apply to.

I get the impression from your post (correct me if I'm wrong!) that perhaps you've quite recently decided you want to do medicine. In which case, it's very important to get work experience to see if it's the sort of job you'd like. It might also interest you to know that there is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" medical school - all of them are excellent and meet very high standards. As for Oxford, they generally like to see a very high percentage of GCSE A* grades, so if you don't have that many you should consider applying elsewhere.

There are lots of good links here, it's definitely worth taking the time to read through them:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    You can visit Oxford any time you want. Go to the research thing.

Here are some stats about Oxford medicine. The GCSE requirements are... pretty stringent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.