Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Everytime in class when im doing work i always hear someone discussing answers usually during or after when im still working, i feel like if i put that down i'll be copying them, its happened 3 times this week already and ive had some bad anxiety and guilt, even if the answer was revealed in class by the teacher and they say i get the same feeling.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Talk to your teacher or wear earplugs. You have just as much chance of them being wrong than right, so rely on what you have learned from your books. Knowing the wrong stuff is more dangerous than knowing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Talk to your teacher or wear earplugs. You have just as much chance of them being wrong than right, so rely on what you have learned from your books. Knowing the wrong stuff is more dangerous than knowing nothing.
    It happens during normal class work and even when we can discuss it i feel like i can't put down what others say, its a dominating thought and when i got 3 lessons one and the other of it, it really worries me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goony124)
    It happens during normal class work and even when we can discuss it i feel like i can't put down what others say.
    Even if you know the answer is correct?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Legendary Quest;64277421]Even if you know the answer is correct?[/QUOTE

Like for example when we were doing music this certain series of notes are a thing used in asia and somebody says china then oriental when im on the same question and i put down asia after listening to it after they said it, i feel like if i put down a similar or the same answer after ive heard it is copying.
    What exactly is copying and isn't in schoolwork.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Goony124)
    It happens during normal class work and even when we can discuss it i feel like i can't put down what others say, its a dominating thought and when i got 3 lessons one and the other of it, it really worries me.
    I thought about this. I cant recall it ever happening to me. If i heard someone discussing it, then id probably use it if I thought it was any good. unfortunately lots of pipuls speak rubbish, so id be just as concerned it would be wrong. hence I rely on books and what was taught. You arent cheating imo, but you arent thinking for yourself either.

Its not that much different if you had a study group and you discussed different ways to do an exam. Talk to your teacher and they will reassure you. its certainly nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=999tigger;64277501]I thought about this. I cant recall it ever happening to me. If i heard someone discussing it, then id probably use it if I thought it was any good. unfortunately lots of pipuls speak rubbish, so id be just as concerned it would be wrong. hence I rely on books and what was taught. You arent cheating imo, but you arent thinking for yourself either.

Its not that much different if you had a study group and you discussed different ways to do an exam. Talk to your teacher and they will reassure you. its certainly nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE

I talked to my teacher, i just think that i worry to much about my work and i'm so relied on my own work even when we can discuss that i throw away parts of my answers just because its similar to what someone else wrote, if i worked it out and understand it then i can put it and if the teacher lets us talk its mostly to share ideas and to aid each other.

ReputationRep:
    You're not copying, stop worrying about it. Honestly this isn't even close a problem.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This is called learning. It's what happens in an educational setting.

Relax

The only thing to think about when you "overhear" something is is it correct in your opinion.

It's not a coincidence that when pupils are discussing a problem or question you will also hear them discuss the answers too. But sometimes they will come to the wrong (or an incomplete) answer. You need to figure out for yourself if it's correct or - even better - join the discussion to find the correct answer.

Discussion and exchanging ideas is a very important part of learning.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god I had the same problem at school. It's hard to get other people's answers out of my head! Sometimes it happens at uni too but I try my best to ignore everyone else's answers when I hear them. I only pay attention when I'm totally confused by a question and can't answer it.

And no it's not copying.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.