How do you keep a conversation going???

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i have never been the one to start or keep convos going, most of the friends I've made have all been them making the effort I've realised. I do come across as quite an intriguing character in which people seem to be interested in but I never realised that until recently.

now it's come to a time where I need to make friends myself and make the effort with people. BUT I just don't know how to keep a conversation going if the other person isn't asking the questions. I show an interest and ask multiple questions but I seem so boring and the conversation just always seems to die.

Recently came out of a long term relationship. Not so used to conversing with new people, went on 4 diff dates of complete diff characters but I just couldn't get engaged in convo with any of them.

I REALLY need some tips, I have been starting and trying to keep convos going with random people so I can get better at spontaneous conversation but it's HARD
Leftee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh, you seek the Gift of the Gab. :holmes:
Repeated exposure to social situations will boost ones confidence, and in turn, bestow thy tongue with the ability to banter.

Would you be willing to join a local club? Conversing is easier when done over a common interest. For example, you could check if there is a Knitters Club in your area? A bit of patter about your favourite embroideries & various yarns you own, and soon you'll be spinning words faster than Eminem. All the lads will want to be your friend. Trust me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (44)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (97)
12.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.15%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (82)
10.82%
Financial worries (51)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.2%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.78%

Watched Threads