Turn on thread page Beta

Project fantasy: the Gove nonsense watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought Michael Gove was something of a nutcase, prone to outlandish claims and dramatic statements, so I suppose I should not be surprised by his speech yesterday, but still, the images he conjures-up are quite remarkable - given that what he thinks he is proposing is the sane and rational alternative. This particular bit got me:

Some of the In campaigners seek to imply, insinuate and sometimes just declare, that if we left the EU we would not be able to take the train or fly cheaply to European nations. If, by some miracle, we somehow managed to make it to distant Calais or exotic Boulogne we would find that - unique among developed nations - our mobile telephones would no longer work. And heaven help us if we fell ill, as citizens from a country outside the EU we would be barred from all of Europe’s hospitals and left to expire unmourned in some foreign field.

But the consequences wouldn't end with the Continent becoming a no-go zone. According to some In campaigners, independence also means the devastation of large areas of our national life. Our football teams would be denuded of foreign players, so Premier league matches would have to become - at best - five-a-side contests. And we’d better not schedule those fixtures for dark evenings because there’d be no electricity left for the floodlights after our energy supplies would had suffered a shock akin to the meltdown of a nuclear power plant.

The City of London would become a ghost town, our manufacturing industries would be sanctioned more punitively than even communist North Korea, decades would pass before a single British Land Rover or Mr Kipling cake could ever again be sold in France and in the meantime our farmers would have been driven from the land by poverty worse than the Potato Famine. To cap it all, an alliance of Vladimir Putin, Marine Le Pen and Donald Trump, emboldened by our weakness, would, like some geopolitical equivalent of the Penguin, Catwoman and the Joker, be liberated to spread chaos worldwide and subvert our democracy.
    https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...94VERSION2.pdf at p3.

Now, in all seriousness, who can point me to a source in which any of these claims (there are almost 20 of them in this short passage) are made by IN campaigners? I don't mean a claim about the same subject matter, I mean exactly these claims, ie "the Premier League would be reduced to five-a-side".

ReputationRep:
    it is a brilliant piece of hyperbole verging on satire by Mr Gove.

ReputationRep:
    You can always count on the British public to choose the most bone-headed, vindictive and bloody-minded of the options on offer. So we will be coming Out no matter what the arguments advanced on each side may or may not be. Certainly the truth rarely gets a look in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    You can always count on the British public to choose the most bone-headed, vindictive and bloody-minded of the options on offer. So we will be coming Out no matter what the arguments advanced on each side may or may not be. Certainly the truth rarely gets a look in.
    To be honest I think that this marks the slow death of Vote Leave. I've long said that the biggest weakness to the eurosceptics are that whilst they're inspiring to about twent percent of the population they'll turn off about forty percent. I've noticed a definite shift in opinion in that the eurosceptics have been playing with fire and burnt themselves as public opinion starts looking at their claims more closely. I also think their mantra of 'we want our country back' is actually incredibly Un British and is going to turn potential voters off.

Of course, vote leave are going to come up with any number of preplannned excuses as to why the pro EU side won way before any leaflet made its way into people's houses. This could be EU colouring in books for kids or they could just go hardcore (Goldman Sachs, Peter mandellson, zionists, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Wink, wink) which I suppose Galloway could help with.

These people have had thirty years to plan and prepare a convincing argument, with plenty of money to spare (eg from zac goldsmiths billionaire daddy) and they've got nothing. The SNP had a more convincing case than they did and that's saying something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    These people have had thirty years to plan and prepare a convincing argument, with plenty of money to spare (eg from zac goldsmiths billionaire daddy) and they've got nothing. The SNP had a more convincing case than they did and that's saying something.
    I'd like to agree with all you've said, because it makes basic sense to me. But watching Newsnight (on Monday I think) the supposedly "undecided" voters seemed to be lapping-up the nonsense from the LEAVErs - and for the first time that actually put the fear in my mind that they might win the vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typonaut)
    I'd like to agree with all you've said, because it makes basic sense to me. But watching Newsnight (on Monday I think) the supposedly "undecided" voters seemed to be lapping-up the nonsense from the LEAVErs - and for the first time that actually put the fear in my mind that they might win the vote.

Is that the economy one here? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk25/episodes/guide

We'll see. I'm not complacent, and anything is possible but I think there's a very loud minority and that most people think the putters are a bit nuts and Willwuietly vote In.

ReputationRep:
    Is that the economy one here? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk25/episodes/guide
    Yes, that's the one.

We'll see. I'm not complacent, and anything is possible but I think there's a very loud minority and that most people think the putters are a bit nuts and Willwuietly vote In.
    While I tend to agree with this, in that I definitely believe the OUTers are more than a bit nuts, and the people I speak to seem to agree, I am also concerned that there are people that actually believe the nonsense spouted by Gove, Johnson & Co.

ReputationRep:
    i am sure that the millions of people who voted for UKIP at the last election but only got 1 MP will get their revenge on June 23rd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i am sure that the millions of people who voted for UKIP at the last election but only got 1 MP will get their revenge on June 23rd.

Speaking of Carswell, he just got rinsed by James Obrien on LBC: Douglas joined ukip as it was the only party where he could be seen as an intellectual

Hopefully, a lot if ukips core vote won't have bothered registering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typonaut)
    An In person living in Fear? no this can't be, I thought your entire campaign was optimism and truth. Oh wait that's the Leave campaign.

ReputationRep:
    Watching the news night documentary now. Apparently brexit will be good because of driverless cars. Wtf are these people on?

ReputationRep:
    Watching the news night documentary now. Apparently brexit will be good because of driverless cars. Wtf are these people on?
    I thought the guy from Siemens pulled that apart quite nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    An In person living in Fear? no this can't be, I thought your entire campaign was optimism and truth. Oh wait that's the Leave campaign.
    Optimism and truth!? Have a go at pulling the optimism and truth out of the Gove quote above, that's something I'd really like to see. Or just try to persuade me that someone actually said these things he is ascribing to the IN campaign.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.