20th Apr: How often do you procrastinate?

Watch
BBC Radio 1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This week’s Surgery is all about procrastination!

Are you struggling to concentrate and commit to revision or something else you need to get done? What’s your top tips for staying focused?

On Wednesday 20th April from 9pm Gemma and Dr Radha are going to help you get focused, or find you something more positive to do!

Remember: you can post anonymously in this forum
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps the question to answer, is:

How often don't you procrastinate?
In that case, not very often
username2387497
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im always procrastinating. Always have done and havent overcome it yet.
dipka
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If their was an exam in distraction I would be getting A*'s or 1:1's.
I have issues with concentration anyway, and I think it's currently worse from starting a new medication on Friday.

Yesterday I was supposed to read a chapter in a book, I managed 3 pages before I was distracted more than I was reading and gave up. I never got back to doing any more work but I had other things happening..

My tips is have a deadline-like I am going to book my proof reader for Tuesday, which then means my work needs to be finished enough for them to proof read on Tuesday and will hopefully mean I will have motivation to work between now and then.
My other tip is allow myself to have breaks (e.g. like now coming on here) because it is better to do even only 10 minutes of good work if that's all I manage and have a break then go back to working again than keep trying to force myself to work for hours which will achieve nothing. I find that gets more work done than if I sat and tried to work for a whole hour or 2.
Finally break down the tasks into small things, written in a list. so then their is stuff to tick of and it feels like i'm progressing and doing well. if its just 'do work on ___ assignment' then I wont. if its written as 1-read this chapter and underline important bits. 2-find a reference from my last assignment about ___ that I can also use in this one. etc.. then it helps.
Fleuryette
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It honestly depends on the subject and what I'm doing. Reading a book, I'm okay. But looking up quotes for my English Course, then oh look.. Something more interesting, I'll spend 5 minutes... *Spends 30 minutes*
Himmy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I PROCASTINATE A LOT. I remember not revising at all for first year uni exams thankfully i passed though. But when i really want to put my mind to it i do the following ; I do have a music playlist that i only listen to during exams season so it primes me to revise, and my chemistry teacher gave me a tip to do the same with a perfume, so i basically have a perfume which also primes me...those two things mixed with being in the library equals revision mode....do bear in mind tho I've been listening to this same playlist for the last 5 years im in the final year of uni now so its worked out fine for me. When im at home and cant bring myself to revise i put my notes on the floor and do push ups while i read them, so that helps me too.
maracatinca
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am literally procrastinating right now. This must be a sign that I need to get back to work.
Skyseastars
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently procrastinating and I don't feel like stopping yet!
lottielouisa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I haven't got round to procrastinating yet
SalazarSlytherin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FireFreezer77)
Im always procrastinating. Always have done and havent overcome it yet.
Just overcome it later
username2387497
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
Just overcome it later
Procrastinating to overcome procrastination.
Im not sure this works
LucDA1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So true!!!
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Perhaps the question to answer, is:

In that case, not very often
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll edit in my answer later.
Azzyrainbow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I procrastinated on reading, then replying to this thread. I could probs get a 1:1 if this was a BA subject.
Claros
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I know I need to be doing some studying I go out somewhere else to do it, rather than trying to concentrate sitting in my room with my laptop (which I will undoubtedly use for youtube or facebook instead of revision). When I go out I don't take my laptop with me and instead opt to use the computers in the library or another study space in the university so I'm not tempted to go on social media, and the fact that I'm in public and might be under scrutiny by other students encourages me to actually do my work.

When I don't have this option I absolutely SUCK at staying focused on my work.
marethyu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll let you know later
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BBC Radio 1)
This week’s Surgery is all about procrastination!

Are you struggling to concentrate and commit to revision or something else you need to get done? What’s your top tips for staying focused?

On Wednesday 20th April from 9pm Gemma and Dr Radha are going to help you get focused, or find you something more positive to do!

Remember: you can post anonymously in this forum
How often do I procrastinate? I don't stop! I have a serious problem - at one point it nearly got me kicked out of college.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Attachment 524387

I mean what can I say. Procasination just ruins lives! 1
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I mean what can I say. Procrastination just ruins lives! 1 month left - then exams! I mean obviously I have good intentions of getting the best grades and definitely want to get a grade B/A But sometimes feel so tired( have low vitamin deficiency) mentally from school that I end up sleeping and missing any time that I could've used for revision. And I know as well as me but there are may others that have lost motivation! I meant what the hell!Its reeally upsetting to be the that one or one out of the class and besides others, to be struggling in A levels sooooo far into the year and everyone is flying around with grade B/A's. I mean A level just knocked of my confidence in all honesty and its heartbreaking.I'm glad that this post was created- good to let out some steam of how frustrating and upsetting it is just to procrastinate when you sometimes think- like what the hell am i really doing/???? It is obviously concerning but What I'm going to do is:get into a routine and devise a timetable for the evening- to be able to space my revision and homework timedefinitely complete all homework, marking, essay typing e.t.c on timewatch my favourite tv shows once i have completed a number of task or any homeworkattempt exam papers in may and stay confident even if i get bad gradesspace revision time between the morning, afternoon and evening and divide the units for each weekend day. - unit 4 on sat and unit 5 on sunsay to myself that i am capable of achieving the best possible grade - even a c/b is still a passtry and stop comparing myself to others- and chill out about being perfect. just because someone is ahead of me in school does not mean im going to fail.e.t.c and lastlytell myself its okay to do bad in a test - its the courage to improve is what i need to focus on and just basically work hard.give equal time to each subjectsmy teacher always say to me- how would you eat an elephant- break it into chunks-good luck to others!:work::smartass::party:
Blondie987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I procrastinated so much today that I cleaned my kitchen instead of revising
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (9)
37.5%
No - I have already returned home (4)
16.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
4.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
16.67%

Watched Threads