Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I passed my first year a couple of years ago, but I was completely underwhelmed and uninterested in my course and simply didn't want to continue. I then decided to dedicate the following two years to traveling.

I don't regret that decision at all, but right now now that I'm back I've been contemplating returning to university if it was possible.

Is it possible to resume study in a completely different course with a head start into the second year considering I've already completed a year, all be it in a different subject? If the transition was possible I would want to go from my previous subject of Education to a Geography degree instead.

Does anybody know how it would effect student loans etc?

Bit of a complicated scenario but it would be awesome if anybody could shed some light if possible.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hargreaves16)
    Basically I passed my first year a couple of years ago, but I was completely underwhelmed and uninterested in my course and simply didn't want to continue. I then decided to dedicate the following two years to traveling.

I don't regret that decision at all, but right now now that I'm back I've been contemplating returning to university if it was possible.

Is it possible to resume study in a completely different course with a head start into the second year considering I've already completed a year, all be it in a different subject? If the transition was possible I would want to go from my previous subject of Education to a Geography degree instead.

Bit of a complicated scenario but it would be awesome if anybody could shed some light if possible.

Thanks.
    No, if it's an unrelated subject, you will have to start from scratch. The formula for funding is length of course + one year - funding taken, so you would be covered for a new 3 year degree.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hargreaves16)

Thanks.
    You're not going to be able to start a new subject at second year. You might be able to continue the same subject and restart in second year, but even that isn't guaranteed.

For student loans you'll be fine. You are covered for one false start, so you'll get loans for the whole of the new degree. It will only get complicated if you drop out again.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.