Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unpredictable Hours of working part-time/zero-hour contracts watch

Do the hours you work change from week to week?

How do you plan your finances and expenditure if your wages change without warning?

Do you find it a problem? How do you cope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zero Hours)

How do you plan your finances and expenditure if your wages change without warning?

In my honest opinion I think Zero Hours contracts should be illegal. Some weeks im working 55 hours, and then I can 5 weeks without getting hardly anything at all (For example this month, im getting paid a grand total of £156).
    You can't have a good quality of life with these jobs,I am unable to rent somewhere because I need to prove I have a certain amount of money in the bank, which I cant do every month. I have to be extremely careful with my money I do have and if I have a large bills to pay, it means I'm going to have to go into my credit cards to live on, which isnt the best.

So to conclude, zero hour contracts suck lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fedeex)
    In my honest opinion I think Zero Hours contracts should be illegal. Some weeks im working 55 hours, and then I can 5 weeks without getting hardly anything at all (For example this month, im getting paid a grand total of £156).
    You can't have a good quality of life with these jobs,I am unable to rent somewhere because I need to prove I have a certain amount of money in the bank, which I cant do every month. I have to be extremely careful with my money I do have and if I have a large bills to pay, it means I'm going to have to go into my credit cards to live on, which isnt the best.

So to conclude, zero hour contracts suck lol
    Getting a Zero Hour contract means I have a job, but I don't, thats basically what it means right?

ReputationRep:
    DON'T GET A ZERO HOUR CONTRACT
    I promise you'll regret it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zero Hours)

It depends on where you work. Some places with zero hours contracts are unpredictable with hours. But other places (like me at mcdonalds) usually give you a similar amount of hours each week, depending on how many hours you want and what what your availability is.

ReputationRep:
    Zero hour contracts are ok for a minority of jobs - for example, I work at an events company and the number of events literally changes each month. However for places like shops, zero hour contracts should be illegal, since they can very easily know what hours they need staff.

Anyway, I would say if you are relying solely on wages from a zero hour job, this is not ideal. Your wages may or may not change week-to-week, but you need to be very careful, plan ahead and have back up plans. These jobs are ideal for example to top up income from other sources, maybe like a fixed hours part time job or something.

ReputationRep:
    Never go 0 hour, im on one now and it is so hard to predict income, on top of that i have to pay for my car! Never do it, you'll regret it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.