Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Part-time work. Coping with fluctuating hours and wages. Watch

I'm curious how you plan your finances and budget if your income changes each work due to being offered more or less hours.

On weeks where you work less than you like, how'd you get by.

How much of a problem is it for you?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Zero Hours)
    I'm curious how you plan your finances and budget if your income changes each work due to being offered more or less hours.

I m on a 16 hour contract which fortunately will just cover bills and a little left over but if you're in the situation where sometimes you're struggling to cover bills i would continually look at changing suppliers, swapping brands and other things like that.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    I m on a 16 hour contract which fortunately will just cover bills and a little left over but if you're in the situation where sometimes you're struggling to cover bills i would continually look at changing suppliers, swapping brands and other things like that.
    do your hours change from week to week? if they do, your wages varies.
    how do you cope with that? specifically not knowing how much you will be earning each week
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    do your hours change from week to week? if they do, your wages varies.
    how do you cope with that? specifically not knowing how much you will be earning each week
    Well i've only just started the job but it's guaranteed 16 hours a week, however i have overtime which puts it to nearer 30 hours on busy weeks. As the minimum hours I will work pays the bills, i plan on saving any extra so that i have an emergency fund. I've always spent barely anything on entertainment and have no travel costs so as long are bills are paid it doesnt matter too much to me that my hours vary.

ReputationRep:

Are you in education- or is this your main job?

(Original post by Emma:-))
    Are you in education- or is this your main job?
    education. not knowing how many shifts will be getting is a killer. don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    education. not knowing how many shifts will be getting is a killer. don't you think?
    As long as you live at home etc, you wont have that many bills to pay. I dont know where you work- but im assuming you will get your shifts at least 1/2/3 weeks in advance, so you should have some idea in advance of what you will be working. And you could always try to work extra hours in the holidays so that you have some money built up for as/when you dont get many hours.
    zero hours contracts and that sort of flexibility can actually be a blessing for students, what with exams, the holidays etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.