The Student Room Group

Can i do a masters in aeronautical engineering with a Bsc in mathematics?

Hi,
I am currently in my last year in school and taking a gap year next year. In terms of A levels i do not have physics ( I do have maths and furter maths as two of my a levels). I was wondering if i can complete a Bsc in mathematics and then master in an engineering degree? Specifically aeronautical engineering but if you have any advice on other ones that would be helpful.
Thanks!
Original post by Apolexian
Hi,
I am currently in my last year in school and taking a gap year next year. In terms of A levels i do not have physics ( I do have maths and furter maths as two of my a levels). I was wondering if i can complete a Bsc in mathematics and then master in an engineering degree? Specifically aeronautical engineering but if you have any advice on other ones that would be helpful.
Thanks!

You'd be better of getting physics then doing engineering rather than doing a degree in maths, if it's engineering you want to go into.
Reply 2
Hi,
Thanks!

If you want to be an engineer it would make more sense to do a BEng/MEng than doing BSc Maths. Not least because student funding doesn't fully cover the MSc afterwards.

You can do Engineering at Manchester without physics if you have M1 and M2.

There may be other unis that don't specify physics.

Edit to add: Nottingham says physics is "preferred", but that's not the same as "required". And also Birmingham: "Further Mathematics and Physics are not required but are advantageous".

Alternatively maybe consider an engineering foundation year. Or as @smack noted, doing A-level Physics in your gap year.

Apart from Maths & FM, what are your other AS/A-levels?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
You'd be better of getting physics then doing engineering rather than doing a degree in maths, if it's engineering you want to go into.

Problem is i only have a year so i dont really have time to do A level physics unless i do it all in one year
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
If you want to be an engineer it would make more sense to do a BEng/MEng than doing BSc Maths. Not least because student funding doesn't fully cover the MSc afterwards.

You can do Engineering at Manchester without physics if you have M1 and M2.

There may be other unis that don't specify physics.

Edit to add: Nottingham says physics is "preferred", but that's not the same as "required". And also Birmingham: "Further Mathematics and Physics are not required but are advantageous".

Alternatively maybe consider an engineering foundation year. Or as @smack noted, doing A-level Physics in your gap year.

Apart from Maths & FM, what are your other AS/A-levels?

Others are computing (CIE), economics and french
so not really relevant ones
Reply 5
Problem is i onky have a year so i dont really have time to do A level physics unless i do it all in one year

Which is doable. It seems you are already doing 5 ASs in one year.

A full A-level is 2 ASs...
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Which is doable. It seems you are already doing 5 ASs in one year.

A full A-level is 2 ASs...

I guess.
I will email a few of the universities i considered and ask them. If anything i will have to do the Physics a-level.
Thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply