Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was told with a motorbike CBT I can't ride on motorways or M roads... What on gods green earth are M roads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    I was told with a motorbike CBT I can't ride on motorways or M roads... What on gods green earth are M roads?
    I thought they were motorways too.

Maybe it is a new label

ReputationRep:
    M = Motorway surely

ReputationRep:
    Major ? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Motorway

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of an M road. But seeing as A road = A1234 etc, B road = B5678 etc, I would assume M road = M25 etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine they mean roads like the A1(M) which are motorways, but don't have a M designation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    I would imagine they mean roads like the A1(M) which are motorways, but don't have a M designation.
    Yeah I think thats what it is, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Basically anything with blue road signs. Stick to green ones.

ReputationRep:
    It just means motorways, it's probably because you get some situations where only some sections of a road are classed as motorways so instead of having a road number starting with M you get road number like the A1M which are also motorways.

ReputationRep:
    If a road has the (M) suffix, it's referring to a dual carriageway on one side and another facing the opposite direction, separated by a central reservation. The (M) suffix means that this road follows regulations that are applied to normal motorways.

Thus,

A40 (M) = A40 (Motorway Regulations)

ReputationRep:
    Motorways

(Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    M roads means "muddy" roads. You most likely will have done your CBT on a road motorcycle which are highly unsuitable for M roads.

Also M roads also often means motorway, its just that when he said "motorways OR M roads", he was obviously referring to a different meaning of M than the status quo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.