How can religion ever be viewed as good?

Watch
Kieran1996
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have said this to many people many times and I thought it would be interesting to see views here seeing as a lot of threads have religion mentioned.

A major issue with religions is the "battling" between them as we see with civil wars in the middle east, the splitting of India into India and Pakistan etc.

Religion serves to tell us how to act in a humane, positive and helpful manner but my issue is, even if it is followed correctly, it still promotes segregation imo. Yes religion does not say to treat someone else differently but as soon as you label someone based on their beliefs there is a divide.

How on earth do we expect to act as one homogeneous society when we still divide ourselves? The fact of the matter is that as long as religion is around we will have divides and people will fight because of it.

I don't know what the solution is but I know that when all these religions founded many years ago, everyone was isolated but now it is possible to travel to anywhere and everywhere in the world. EDIT: do we just need to merge all beliefs???

I am not sure where I am going with this so feel free to discuss :confused:
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my opinion if no religion was around the planet would have had a more peaceful history.
Kieran1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by ODES_PDES)
In my opinion if no religion was around the planet would have had a more peaceful history.
Yeah... basically said what I baffled on about for a paragraph in a sentence.

No wonder I didn't do so well in English AS
Legendary Quest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see religion disappearing any time soon. I don't think there's anything wrong with people believing in God or following whatever religion they believe in. The important thing is that everyone is tolerant and acknowledges that, yes, everyone has different beliefs but that doesn't mean that we must treat people differently.

Of course this is easier said than done but I think we, humans, will always find a way (or a reason) to divide ourselves...
Kieran1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by Legendary Quest)
I don't see religion disappearing any time soon. I don't think there's anything wrong with people believing in God or following whatever religion they believe in. The important thing is that everyone is tolerant and acknowledges that, yes, everyone has different beliefs but that doesn't mean that we must treat people differently.

Of course this is easier said than done but I think we, humans, will always find a way (or a reason) to divide ourselves...
I agree with the first part of your post but my issue is with the beliefs part. Yes we should all be tolerant but at which point do we say a belief is wrong or not? It is very easy for someone to say "religion says this!" when in truth it is a cultural belief rather than a religious one.

I agree we will always find a was to divide ourselves :boing:
Legendary Quest
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kieran1996)
I agree with the first part of your post but my issue is with the beliefs part. Yes we should all be tolerant but at which point do we say a belief is wrong or not? It is very easy for someone to say "religion says this!" when in truth it is a cultural belief rather than a religious one.

I agree we will always find a was to divide ourselves :boing:
I don't think we can say a belief is wrong or not provided their beliefs do not contradict any laws... If they believe in God then that is their problem. Of course, if their beliefs contradict laws (like telling them to do things that aren't allowed in the country the individual lives in - violence, polygamy, etc...) then that's when others can step in. But if they want to believe in God or if they believe that they have to pray to go to Heaven then leave them to it.
godofwine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The problem isn't religion, but more so organised religion, and when it starts to tell people how to behave, what to eat, what to wear, who you can mix with, and how you conduct yourself with other people.
macromicro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think we can say a belief is wrong or not provided their beliefs do not contradict any laws...
How about the laws of physics?
Legendary Quest
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by macromicro)
Then, again, we have every right to step in and challenge their beliefs.
Thatotherone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are good people and bad people in every walk of life, the world wouldn't be any more peaceful without religion or any worse either, people will always find a reason to hurt other people, tell them they are inferior or enforce values of some kind on them. The problem with our society isn't religion, it's a lack of tolerance in general. Lack of tolerance for anyone who doesnt fit in to our ideal.

People are told they're too fat, too thin, too slutty, too stupid, too religious, too liberal. The problem is people, you get as many violent and prejudice atheists as you do religious people. Religion is neither good nor bad, its the people that are good or bad.
Kieran1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by godofwine)
The problem isn't religion, but more so organised religion, and when it starts to tell people how to behave, what to eat, what to wear, who you can mix with, and how you conduct yourself with other people.
Very true. The issue is that a lot of cultural actions seem like religious actions.

But if they want to believe in God or if they believe that they have to pray to go to Heaven then leave them to it.
I agree it is their issue. But the world being at war with terrorism and helping countries in civil wars has an impact on us all which makes religion an important factor for us all.

Idk religion is and always will be a difficult subject
Kieran1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thatotherone)
There are good people and bad people in every walk of life, the world wouldn't be any more peaceful without religion or any worse either, people will always find a reason to hurt other people, tell them they are inferior or enforce values of some kind on them. The problem with our society isn't religion, it's a lack of tolerance in general. Lack of tolerance for anyone who doesnt fit in to our ideal.

People are told they're too fat, too thin, too slutty, too stupid, too religious, too liberal. The problem is people, you get as many violent and prejudice atheists as you do religious people. Religion is neither good nor bad, its the people that are good or bad.
I feel like I made it clear in my first post that I don't think religion is bad. If I didn't then my bad; my point was what you were saying which was by having divides (and religion is a very big one) it creates violence.

Maybe I live in Idealistic world where everyone can hold hands and get along
debs20153
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you know there are multiple which break the laws of physics
macromicro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am not sure where am going with this so feel free to discuss :confused:
Where you are going is the natural progression of humanity.

Religion was a necessary stepping stone in the path of humans towards truth. We once used to believe the sun was a God - we now know it to be nothing more than a burning ball of mostly hydrogen. The notion of it being a God is ridiculous, even quite funny. Religion in the modern day is dying due to further scientific discovery of this kind - the kind that renders religious belief illogical and objectively wrong. Science has slowly been replacing religion for thousands of years but we are at an important stage today due to the internet era, the rapid scientific boom from Einstein and quantum theory, and the Middle East conflicts.

Eventually future children in schools on Mars will read in history textbooks how people used to worship these peculiar old books and live only on Earth. They will look back in disbelief at the abominable suppression of science before the second millenium and the incredulity of believing in an invisible God despite scientific evidence. They will think how far we have come as a species.

Think of religion as a necessary evil that we have almost moved on from. A large obstacle today is Islam and the East but soon enough it will be reformed then diluted then forgotten like Christianity.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Because my religion tells me this is good, therefore it is good"
Peroxidation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's just what I was thinking! :lol:

Where you are going is the natural progression of humanity.

Religion was a necessary stepping stone in the path of humans towards truth. We once used to believe the sun was a God - we now know it to be nothing more than a burning ball of mostly hydrogen. The notion of it being a God is ridiculous, even quite funny. Religion in the modern day is dying due to further scientific discovery of this kind - the kind that renders religious belief illogical and objectively wrong. Science has slowly been replacing religion for thousands of years but we are at an important stage today due to the internet era, the rapid scientific boom from Einstein and quantum theory, and the Middle East conflicts.

Eventually future children in schools on Mars will read in history textbooks how people used to worship these peculiar old books and live only on Earth. They will look back in disbelief at the abominable suppression of science before the second millenium and the incredulity of believing in an invisible God despite scientific evidence. They will think how far we have come as a species.

Think of religion as a necessary evil that we have almost moved on from. A large obstacle today is Islam and the East but soon enough it will be reformed then diluted then forgotten like Christianity.
I can't agree more. Religion helped us to build societies by unifying people in each region under one banner. The problems arose when religion was used as a means of maintaining control over that population, because that's when the suppression of knowledge became necessary (in the eyes of those in control at least). This regressive ideology (and selfishness on the part of the religious leaders) is what caused the dark ages to last for so long. We accomplished a negligible amount in the dark ages when knowledge and science were suppressed. But since the enlightenment, a mere 300 years ago, we've gone from burning women at the stake because some odd bloke caught a cold to being able to readily observe (most) fundamental particles.

Recently a group of researchers even managed to get a cloud of about 100 rubidium atoms to exist in two different positions which were about a meter apart, simultaneously! In other words, that cloud of rubidium atoms existed in two different places at the same time. It was the first time a quantum effect like that had been observed on everyday scales. That's quite a profound improvement over the achievements made when religion was at the reigns.
Spoiler:
Show

So in response to the OP's question, of course religion isn't good! If you believe in a god that's fine, it's your business and I really don't care how you waste your brainpower. If however you begin infecting the minds of others with such ridiculous ideologies (thereby decreasing the likelihood of those people making any contributions to modern science and consequently to the whole human race) then we've got a problem.
ikhan94
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Problem is theres one religion at the start but people then start creating their own ones and then claim theirs is right which then starts a war .i.e shia/sunni
TheGreatPumpkin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After the fall of the Roman Empire it was religion which preserved information (Christianity in the west, Islam in the east), albeit bias information gathered only from those who agreed with what the religions were preaching, but information nonetheless.

Now to start an argument:
Spoiler:
Show
Islam did a better job
Thatotherone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel like I made it clear in my first post that I don't think religion is bad. If I didn't then my bad; my point was what you were saying which was by having divides (and religion is a very big one) it creates violence.

Maybe I live in Idealistic world where everyone can hold hands and get along
But that's what I mean, the divide of religion is kind of just an excuse, if we'd never had it we would have created new ways to divide ourselves, it's human nature to seek out groups to belong to and then oppose other groups.
It's kind of sad to admit that we're doomed to war not based on that makes us different but on the one thing that makes us all the same, the fact that humans want to dominate eachother and will have no problem hurting eachother to do it.
BristolFresher15
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If there was never any religion, we would've just found some other reason to hate each other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads